I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Monday, October 03, 2016

Book Review: Shadow of the Storm

This was an excellent book! I am never sure with historical (especially Biblical) fiction, whether it will be accurately portrayed or not. I felt the tone of the story and historical pieces were really well done. The characters were believable and the story line compelling. I really enjoyed reading this!
I found the practice of midwifery very interesting, and loved how Shira found her calling by assisting in births: whether they be human or animal. It was great to see her stand up to her mother (in a strong but respectful way) and refuse to remain in a career that was clearly not where her skill set lay.

The character of Dvora was interesting but infuriating. I have known people like her, and it is ridiculous how long they get away with their wiles and deception. However, there always comes a time when they are called on the carpet for them. While it is satisfying to see them answer for their deeds, it is also disheartening, as you wish for redemption for them. Dvora is no exception to this. 

I will say there were a few places where Shira's self-blaming became monotonous, and where I was frustrated with how she limited herself, and couldn't seem to see past being a victim, but I was very pleased with how the book ended, and I would definitely read more from this author. 

I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

0 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin