I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Book Review: The Secret of Pembrooke Park


I loved this book. Loved it! I sometimes feel that Christian fiction is heavy handed with trying to show the daily lives of Christians and keep a plot moving without being bogged down by religious lingo. Not so with this book. The characters who know the Lord prove so by their actions, not by spouting religious verbiage constantly.

I liked the main character immensely. I think every woman has felt like Abigail. Perhaps not sharing partial responsibility for their family losing most of its fortune, but by having a prettier, smarter, more charismatic, or more something sibling and noticing parental support and doting on said sibling. Abigail handles it with grace and humility.

I did find it odd that she went from someone who never attends church, to someone who would understand about the sacrifice of Christ without making that commitment herself. Perhaps I overlooked that part of the story. But twice she shares the Gospel with other characters and I don't recall an impassioned embracing of the cross herself.

I liked the way the mystery was revealed, little by little. Usually when they climax of a story is completed, I rush through the end because whatever else is written doesn't matter, and is just fluff. Not so with this book. There were still some issues left to be sorted, even after the main mystery was finished, and it didn't drag at all. I enjoyed this book all the way to the end.

I highly recommend this book for young adults, and adults alike.

I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for an honest review.

0 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin