I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Poor Little Birdie


We are new dog owners. Since moving to Zambia, we have acquired three Mastiff-Boxer/German Shepherd mix puppies. They are around six months old now, (have grown a LOT) and they have been a great addition to our family. The girls are thrilled to have pets, and I am happy to see them have responsibility. I told them before we got puppies, that they would be responsible to feed and water, and train them.

Every. Day.  Mom would not be the one to take care of their pets. And so far they have been very responsible. I am very proud of the way they love their dogs.

Since our dogs are still puppies, they are VERY curious. It's fun to watch them catch a bug and toss it around between their paws, then jump away when it moves. They used to chase their tails too.

But now that they've grown up some, they are becoming hunters. Especially the little one, Henry. He has caught and killed two blue headed lizards. (See the lizard there on the right side of the ridge on the wall? The two he's caught have been at least ten inches long. EW.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned on here before that we have a lot of birds living in the eaves of our roof. They makes nests and lay eggs and hatch babies all the time. So there is always a risk of baby birds falling out, and unfortunately, getting eaten. (That has happened twice.)

Yesterday, one of the dogs had a bird in its mouth. Our resident animal whisperer was VERY upset and got it away from her. The poor bird was laying on its side, panting. I was sure it was too scared and its heart would explode. I didn't want the girls to be upset when it died, so I was planning to pitch it over the wall or something when they weren't looking. (I'm a great mom, I know.)

We were leaving for Bible study RightThatMinute and didn't have a lot of time to deal with this poor bird. So I told Kat to get a plastic bag to pick it up, just in case there was blood somewhere that we couldn't see.

She held it in her hand for a while as it caught its breath, then miraculously it hopped up onto its feet! Its wings were wet, and I didn't think it could fly, so we thought of where to put it out of reach of the puppies. I had Kat walk around to the front of the house to meet me.




She sat on the front steps for a while waiting for the bird to fly away, but it didn't. Then Henry the might hunter jumped at it, and it took off! (See how the bird is missing in this pic? It just flew away.)
We were thrilled! The bird might live! Our dogs aren't serial killers! It landed on our wall fence, resting. There was a small pile of stones under where it landed, which, as it turns out, were just high enough for Henry to climb up and quickly grab the bird in his mouth again.

I am not even kidding.

Talk about heartbreaking!

Kat chased him around the house, but didn't get there in time to save the bird again. She was devastated. Tears abounded. I tried my best to comfort her and assure her she did all she could for the bird. Dogs are curious, and they like to hunt and eat everything. I was also trying to shoo her out the door so we could GoToBibleStudyAlready.

Now, I think this was a little sadder for her because in the past two weeks I had run over her dog's paw (it has since healed nicely and he is fine now), and their Nana Mary's dog Kirby died. I'd spent quite a while comforting girls about animals, and I was not looking forward to doing it again.

But she took comfort in the fact that she can snuggle their guinea pigs...and that God knows what that birdie needed.

Doesn't that story sound like something that would happen in a cartoon? You save the bird, only at the last minute have it be eaten by a dog right before it flies away? CRAZY!

All is well now, and I am thankful for that. I know incidents will happen, that's just a risk of owning pets. But I hope the birds stay in the air from now on!

0 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin