I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Blessing of Friends


Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you lived all alone? With no family nearby, no friends; just you and your hubby and your kids? Add to that a foreign culture, threat of illness, climate changes, different languages...and it's not a very fun scenario to picture, is it? For most people I believe it's not even a realistic thing to imagine.

I just wanted to take a moment and thank the Lord for the friends we have here on the mission field. It really is a blessing to have people around who "get" you, and understand the unique life of a missionary. We don't all have the same experiences, but there is a camaraderie amongst missionaries that I really appreciate.

God has been very good to us, in that, not only do we have more than one other missionary family here (even kids our children's ages!), but we also have more than one family from our home town! (Well, our adopted home town; neither the hubby or I are from the city from which we were commissioned.) So there are people here in Chipata who know what we're talking about when we mention missing a local place, or person.

I wonder how missionaries with no one from home near them survive. Yes, you can make friends with the people who live near you. Yes, you come to love your new home and all its little quirks. Yes, you can be quite content with just your little family to comfort you; but there's nothing like having friends from home around to chat with, have over for lunch, pray with, go swimming with...it's such a blessing.

I never want to take for granted the blessings God has given me, and I think having good friends nearby is something I easily forget in my list of thanksgiving.

So, picture your life as it is right now. Think of all the wonderful people God has placed in it, and thank Him for their role in your life. Then go tell those people how much they mean to you. It seems I always wait until there is a threat of a person being taken away before I mention my love for them. I don't want to take anything for granted.

Love this challenge: What if tomorrow you were left with only those things which you thanked God for
today?

Thank you God for friends!!

2 Comments:

  • Brenda

    Wow! really..not only americans, american missionaries. and from the same place? amazing blessings!!!

  • Janice

    You gotta know I love everything you just typed here!! :) Counting down... soon it will be actual days, but for now, just counting down something!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin