I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, August 10, 2012

I Don't Have Time for That...


Photo found here

Imagine a conversation something like this:

Them: Oh, I LOVE this! It's so cute! Where did you get it? [person furiously taking in every detail of item]
Me: [shrugging like it's no big deal] Well, I found a tutorial online and made it myself.
Them: [handing it back to me with sudden indifference] Oh, that's nice. I just don't have time for that sort of thing.

Ever felt completely deflated after hearing that? Or have you ever said that to someone else?

Why do we so flippantly dismiss something another person has spent time on as wasteful, or unnecessary. Why do we do this to each other?

I think we each want to be the best mom/wife/woman we can be, and when it seems as though someone else has done more or been more, it makes us feel inadequate. Even if it's an insignificant thing, we feel as though a chink has been put in our womanly armor, and we must address it. So we say silly, demeaning things like "I don't have time for that."

Which, in turn, makes the person who has done what we were recently admiring feel like a chump.

There are a lot of people who do things better than I do. People who have skills come naturally to them that would take me years to develop. Women who are just naturally good at lots of things. And is that ok? Yes! It bears the mark of a wonderfully creative God who does all things well, and lends us His creativity from time to time.

If I am not careful, however, I can become jealous of others. I can make comments in my mind that would take away from the brilliant thing another person has done or created. And in my flesh I might actually say those things out loud.

In order to make myself feel better.

That's not a good thing.

I don't want to be the woman who is tearing others down with my thoughts or words. I want to edify, have the law of kindness on my tongue, and encourage those around me. Which is hard, since I seem to have been born with a sarcasm first-response gene.

Know this- from now on, if you ever send me a pic of something you've done or made, or tell me about it in person or over the phone, know that I will be genuinely happy for you. I will say nice things about it and possibly ask you to teach me how to do it.

And then perhaps I will be able to say "Hey, I DO have time for that!"


0 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin