I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, March 11, 2011

A Healthy Brownie Recipe

CHOCOLATE!!!

Well, it's low-er fat, and FULL of fiber. If you're going to try this, and fiber isn't part of your normal daily intake, you better stay home the rest of the evening, I think. If you normally have trouble with that sort of thing, then maybe these will get things moving along.

And no, they're not trick X-lax brownies, but thank you for asking.

I had been playing around with the idea of a healthier brownie, and even searched the web for one. I found a black bean recipe, but it used a box mix and a can of black beans. Not the kind of healthy I was looking for.

So I dabbled. I've made three different versions, and the one I am sharing with you is my favorite. And the kids' favorite. The hubby has been out of town and has no idea I've made two batches of brownies in the past two days. Well, he'll be thankful I finally got the recipe hashed out anyway.

I think.

We've been on the quest to eat healthier, and flax seed and wheat germ have become staples in the fridge. Did you know you can substitute 1T flax seed plus 2T milk or water for an egg in a baking recipe? It works extremely well in these brownies, and doesn't affect the taste. I haven't tried it in a white or yellow cake, but in chocolate it's so good.

And these brownies (when you cut them into 16 pieces in an 8x8 pan) are only three WW points each! And pack a TON of fiber! So I'm thinking they're pretty awesome. They bake up thick too, so don't think you're getting a fingernail full of chocolate.

Alright already! Here's the recipe!

JulieMom's Yummy (Healthy) Brownies

2/3C oatmeal (I used Scottish oats)
1/3C wheat germ
1/4C special dark cocoa
2t baking powder
2T flax seed mixed with 6T vanilla almond milk (or water or soy milk)
1/2C butter
2/3C semi sweet or milk chocolate chips (your choice)
2T honey

1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Spray the bottom only of an 8x8 metal pan.

2. In a blender or food processor, blend the oatmeal and wheat germ until fine like flour. Dump into a large mixing bowl. Add the baking powder. Stir.

3. In a small bowl (like cereal size) combine the flax seed and almond milk. Set aside.

4. In a small pot over medium low heat, melt the butter with the chocolate chips until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder. Stir in the honey and agave nectar. Add the flax seed mixture. Stir well.

5. Add the wet mixture to the dry in the large bowl. Mix until moistened.

6. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes, then check with a toothpick 2" from the edge. It should come out clean or nearly clean.

7. Cool thirty minutes before cutting. Enjoy!

Please try these and let me know what you think. My family (and the people upstairs) LOVED them! Just check with others for nut allergies (because of the almond milk) before sharing.

Oh, and HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!

2 Comments:

  • karly

    Rock on, Julie! All those cute little hair things are so, uh, CUTE! :) I like them all! Way to go!!

  • Jane

    Just what I was looking for...need to bring a pan of brownies to a church function tonight! There are always people who expect me to bring a healthy version! Thank-you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin