I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Monday, January 03, 2011

Thought-Provoking Reading

Of course I'm talking about the Bible.


A few friends and I are reading the Bible through in six months. Yep, that's right, six months. It will be a first for me, so I am hoping I can stay on schedule. Really, who can't carve out an hour (or less if you aren't obsessed with taking notes like I am) to read God's Word? Seriously, we can do it. Don't turn the TV on, or pick up another book, or play the Wii, or a video game, until it's done.

And if it's feeling like a chore, you need to ask God to forgive your attitude, and help you love it. Seriously. Malachi 1:13 "Ye said also, Behold, what a weariness is it! and ye have snuffed at it, saith the LORD of hosts; and ye brought that which was torn, and the lame, and the sick; thus ye brought an offering: should I accept this of your hand? saith the LORD." (This was written to the priests in the Old Testament about their service to the Lord.)

I have found since doing the reading, that I have a lot of questions. Things that I've known for a long time, stories that I've heard over and over, still have new things for me to learn and think about. Such as:

1. When the serpent talked to Eve she didn't freak out and run away. Did all the animals talk? If so, that would explain how the serpent was the most subtil. If the others did talk, they obviously weren't tricky. Thoughts?

2. Adam was punished for 'hearkening to the voice of his wife'. Oops. Kinda makes you want to re-think some of the pressure you put on the hubby, doesn't it? How far is too far to share our opinion? Don't want my hubby punished for harkening unto me instead of God!

3. How come Adam and Eve didn't have any babies while in the Garden? Did things change physically for them? Surely they figured out how their bodies worked before the fall...

4. Cain doesn't answer God's question directly, just like his parents didn't. When confronted with the sin of killing his brother, he in turn questions God. Just like Adam and Eve went on to blame others, Cain doesn't admit his sin either. Makes me want to be more careful!

5. After Cain killed Abel, he was afraid that whoever saw him would want to kill him. How big was the population at this time? The only recorded kids we've seen are Cain and Abel. Were there others before them? Or was he afraid his mom and dad would kill him? How is a whole other city (Nod) populated with people out of the 'presence of the Lord'?

6. When Enoch was born and men started calling on the Lord, why don't we have any cool stories from that time? How come there aren't any miraculous things that happen? And why/how did men stop calling on the Lord?

So you see, there is a lot to learn! I may never know the answers to these questions, but it's fun to think about them! Today I will be reading through Genesis 19, and I am SURE there will be more questions.

My girls are on a different schedule, with reading it through in two years. So far so good. Book Worm got right up this morning and did her reading without being reminded! Yay! She will be turning ten this month, so I am happy to see some responsibility on her part. This also makes for some good discussion time as a family about what we're reading.

Are you reading the Bible through this year? What have you learned so far?

1 Comments:

  • Brenda

    #5--my understanding is this is just the history of the Israelites. God certainly made other people. It's so fascinating to think about!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin