I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, November 12, 2010

"Advancements" in Technology

So I have been thinking about my health a lot lately.


Why? Did I suddenly get convicted about eating better, being a good example to my children, losing weight and getting healthier?

Well, I wouldn't say it happened suddenly, but over the course of a year or two. I have exercised and lost weight, and then wasn't able to keep the same schedule, so I stopped. Now I am back on the wagon with something I can actually do, and we've revamped the way we eat. Seriously. Not going back to the sodium and chemical-laden food, the fast food on the road, the unnecessary (and scary) amount of calories in fruit juice...the list could go on and on.

What does this have to do with technology?

I'll get there eventually. Just give me a minute, ok?

Thank you.

So I was reading in the Bible (of all places) and found some interesting verses. In III John 2 it says: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth."

Wait a minute, you mean those two things are related?!? What's up with that?

Think about it for a minute: When you are in good health, isn't it easier to praise God and be about His business? Isn't it a blessing to have all your body parts working orderly and doing their jobs without the aid of machinery or medication? Don't you have more of a spring in your step, and carry yourself a little higher? I do.

And the adverse is true as well. When we're in poor health (or just FAT) it's easier to be lazy about everything else (including spiritual things) because we're just tired. And we aren't as thankful (at least in my experience) because we don't feel well.

Can I be honest here for a minute? We are usually in those kind of circumstances because of disobedience. I know not all physical conditions are cause by eating poorly and not exercising, but how many of them are?

Our physical condition can affect our spiritual condition.

That is more likely than our spiritual condition affecting our physical. Meaning, being so spiritually fit that even when we're dealing with physical pain or illness, we aren't griping or crying all the time, but can be a positive testimony of the Lord.

So when John was saying that ABOVE ALL THINGS he wished for their physical and spiritual PROSPERITY, that was a big statement. Not for their physical or spiritual COMFORT, but PROSPERITY, which I think means HEALTH, since that was the actual word he used anyway. (And I'm not really into the 'name it and claim it' Gospel, in which prosperity equals RICHES OF ALL WONDROUS KINDS.)

Now here comes the technology part...

I am not one of those people who hates technology. If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know I probably love my laptop a little too much. (Especially now that I'm a Mac girl, heh heh.) However, I do think that technology has made us, as a society, lazy and fat. How?

Think about it: Long ago in the days of farming, people worked hard outside all day long. Even those who had "office" jobs still had to care for their grounds, and pitched in to help others. Women did all their laundry by hand, many people walked where they went, and NOT doing hard work was basically unheard of. Life in general was hard. Today, machines do so much for us that when the power goes out we don't even know how to function.

And then came Facebook. No comment.

And we've gotten to the point now where (we're SO ADVANCED) we've had to build other machines to make us exercise. Whole businesses have been established and devoted to helping people "work out". Clearly we are not "working out"side enough anymore. When was the last time you helped plow a field? Um, never. Or planted a garden in order to feed your family? Um, double never. Or even hung your laundry outside to dry in the sun? Um, when I was in South Africa and the sun actually shined.

I basically go outside to walk to and from my car.

Are you getting me?

I am glad they have these machines and stuff available for us, but I don't always think technology is the greatest thing ever. How many of us depend less on God and more on "stuff", just because the "stuff" is so reliable nowadays? How many times do we find ourselves, even with all our conveniences and 'time savers', and Bible programs for computers, STILL not taking the proper time we need to with God?

How is this possible in a society as "advanced" as ours?

Well, I am taking things back in hand. I have exercised these past two weeks, we are on the right track in our eating habits, and I've lost four pounds. (My pants, however, feel tight which is weird. Whatever. I will not be deterred!!)

And I'm not going to let the fact that I live in the Information Age prevent me from prospering in health and spirit.

If you want a website that makes eating healthy SO EASY, check out this link. They even make your shopping list for you! And you can sub even healthier alternatives (like Stevia for sugar) when you're at the store.

We can do this!! And if you want to check out what else we've been doing, go here.

And one more link. This is where technology has taken us ladies, and it's not pretty. [FYI- this video has a woman in revealing clothes, so not kid or hubby friendly.]

2 Comments:

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Good post. I couldn't watch the video though. The link took me to a page where you have to choose which video you want to watch, and I didn't see anything I thought might be the one you were referring to. :0(

  • WendyMom

    I'm with you my friend!

    Now, if only I knew what to do with these Girl Scout Cookies!@!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin