I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wow. That Was a Close One

Have you ever lost something, but you were pretty sure you knew where it was? Only, when you looked there, it wasn't? Has this something ever been very important to you? Maybe something you only get once in a lifetime?

Like a wedding ring, perhaps? Hmmm??

Well, the Prince's wedding ring has been fitting weird these last few months. Something happened to his finger, and now it fits some days, and others it doesn't. On the days it doesn't, I wear it on my left hand middle finger, next to my own wedding ring.

So we wouldn't lose it.

One morning as we were all getting ready to leave the house, he handed me his ring. I slipped it on, put away a loaf of Italian bread back into it's store-bought crinkly bag, (please don't ask me why it was out all night and then put away. Just don't.) grabbed my purse, and the girls and I hit the road to do some shopping. The Prince went to teach his class at the Bible College.

We stopped and got petrol. We shopped. We came home and unloaded everything. We actually went through two more days of stuff before I wondered what became of the hubby's ring. I looked in the usual places and it wasn't there. I even checked his finger.

Not there.

Hmm...what could have happened to that thing?

Oh no. I started thinking back to all the places I had been in the last two days. The more I thought, the more I felt sick. I was sure we would never see that ring again. I mean, it wasn't like it had our phone number etched on the inside or anything.

I tried putting off the inevitable, but eventually had to ask J-Man if he knew where his ring was. He remembered that I was wearing it last. And then he had the gall to ask me what I did with it. And since I had already ran around Jo'burg in my mind and didn't stumble across it, I was pretty sure it was lost.

See, it's a little bit big on me and slides around. I've never had it fall all the way off when I was doing something, but it's worked its way close to my knuckle. I was sure if it had fallen off I would have felt it. I would have heard it. The girls surely would have said something.

So I decided to ask God where this ring was. I told Him that since He knew right where it was in that moment that would He please keep an eye on it, and make sure nothing bad happened to it? And could I please find it soon so I can get on with my life already?

I went to make supper and settled on pasta. Oh, looky here, in the pantry there's a loaf of two-day old Italian bread. Wonder if it's any good...probably not. I should just chuck it.

[small voice telling me to check it out]

[me arguing that it's only a third of a loaf, really, and I should just throw it out already.]

[small voice insisting that I check it out]

[me dumping it out on the counter, getting ready to tell the small voice 'I told you so']

WHAT?!?

The hubby's ring dumped out of the bag with the Italian bread.

[me sheepishly thanking the small voice for being so insistent. And not rubbing it in.]

I mean, I almost chucked J-Man's wedding ring in the garbage!! So glad I listened to that small voice. But I have to tell you, this isn't the most interesting place we've found his ring...not by FAR...but that's another story for another day. Maybe.

3 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin