I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I Need God's Vision


Image found here.

How many times have we heard in sermons that God sees things differently than we see? Have we heard it so often that we've forgotten this statement actually has real meaning? Maybe we don't understand it fully because we can't see as He sees.


Our vision as humans is limited to what our eyes can take in. We can't see the inside of someone's mind. We can't look deeply into their eyes and know their intent. We cannot see the future, to know what someone might become.

God sees it all. He sees the potential in each person. And it's awesome.

I've been studying stories in the Bible for my Ladies' Sunday School Class that fit in the category Against the Odds. I'm starting with David and Goliath, then moving into Gideon. In studying Gideon, I noticed something interesting I never noticed before.

In Judges 6 the story of Gideon begins. There is no background of Gideon's life given here, we just come in on Gideon being approached by the angel of the LORD. He is threshing wheat behind the wine press, to hide it from the Midianites (who have come to torment Israel and take them captive).

Now, some people would say he is a coward for hiding his work, but I think he is being prudent. In the previous verses we learn that the enemy had destroyed everything the Israelites had. All their crops, everything. They were left destitute. Do you think if someone raised more grain, it would have been spared? I don't think it's cowardly to outsmart the enemy. I think it's wise.

Anyway, that's not what I want to talk about...

The interesting thing I want to focus on happens right away. The angel of the LORD approaches and calls him a mighty man of valor. Gideon doesn't argue with this right away, but he does after the second time it's mentioned. He reminds the angel how he is the least of his father's house, and that they are poor. (Humility is never a bad thing. Although Saul said something similar when he was chosen as king...)

[Anyway, I'm getting off the point again. The Bible is cool, isn't it? So many things to study...]

The angel tells him he is going to defeat the Midianites. Do we see anywhere that Gideon has battle experience? Do we see that he has even been a strong person up to this point?

Gideon did not have confidence in himself. He didn't say: "Well, angel, it took you long enough to show up and ask me. I've been biding my time threshing this wheat, just waiting for something brave and awesome to do so I can prove to everyone that I am a hero." He didn't think he could do it. He wasn't trying to prove anything.

Again I go back to how the angel addressed him. He called him a mighty man of valor.

The angel of the LORD gives him a job to do. He tells him to destroy his father's idol of Baal and the grove next to it. Gideon obeys, but he goes at night. And he takes people with him. (How long does it take to destroy a grove? I'm thinking it was a lot of work, and Gideon would have been captured and stopped had he tried to do it all on his own.)

[Anyway, that's not really important. Just interesting. Freebie number two.]

The angel called him a mighty man of valor.

So, I believe this angel is the Lord, because Gideon calls him Lord with a capital 'L', and verse 16 says: "And the Lord said unto him..."

So the Lord (who is God) sees the future, right? He can see the potential that lies in Gideon. He can see that even though this man is afraid to obey and break down the altar of Baal in the daytime, the point is that he was willing to obey. He did what was asked of him.

God didn't look at Gideon's strength. He didn't look at his experience. He knew that Gideon wasn't revered by every person because of his mighty reputation.

God took a man who was doubting the miracles he'd heard so much about, saw that he was willing to obey, poured out His Spirit upon him, and helped him fulfill the 'mighty man of valor' prophecy on his life.

See, God knows our potential. He sees all the things we could do when we are in submission to Him, and He treats us like we've already done them! He doesn't call us lazy, or scared, or weak to get us to wake up and obey. He already knows we can do nothing apart from Him. Instead, He calls us by what we could be. He encourages us to reach for what He can see in us.

What does God see in you? Do you see yourself through His eyes?

Don't put limitations on what God can (or wants) to do in your life. The weaker you are, the more He can use you. Remember, He loved you BEFORE you put faith in Him. He doesn't love you MORE because you choose to serve Him. But He is infinitely pleased when we let Him have His way in our lives.

Are you living up to your potential?

2 Comments:

  • marylittlebit

    Just read your blog, and love that you're even studying about Gideon, too. :) I posted about Gideon today, too! I also love that God teaches me about the same things over and over.... In my quiet time, from your blog, in lessons at church. He'll keep showing me till I get it!

  • marylittlebit

    And thanks for the link to the free ebook! Looks great, so I'm passing it on! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin