I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, April 09, 2010

My LORD and My God

Have you ever read through the books of Genesis and Exodus (and numerous other places in the Bible) that list the names 'Lord' and 'God' together, and wondered why LORD is always capitalized fully, while God is just a capital 'G'?

I have. And I've been thinking about it a lot recently.

I'm not sure why, but it seems that as a society, we seem to think the name 'Lord' means less than the name 'God'. God is holy and righteous, the King of kings, the Author of creation, the One whose mighty and unfathomable plan offers us perfect and complete salvation.

So, who is the Lord? I know 'the Lord' and 'God' are one in the same. My point is that many times we think of 'God' in a reverent way, and don't think about 'Lord' with the same reverence. It's a name that's almost an afterthought. Like 'God' is the heart of the matter and 'Lord' is a title, like Mr. or Dr. or Sir. Maybe it's just me, though.

I did a search in E-Sword today. I just put in the words 'Lord God'. Know how many hits I got? Three thousand seven hundred ninety-nine. That's a lot!! The name 'Lord God' together like that is mentioned over three thousand times in the Bible.

THREE THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED NINETY-NINE TIMES.

So this leads me to the question I'm wanting to ask: Is the name 'Lord' less important, holy, strong, reverent than the name God? The Scriptures themselves deny this. They in fact, emphatically prove that the names are to be equally reverenced.

Which leads me to another question: Is it okay to take the name 'Lord' in vain?

Exodus 20:7 "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain."

We are not to take the name of the LORD in vain. The LORD is the One who will have vengeance for this particular sin. I find that extremely interesting, don't you?

How many times have you heard people (like me) who would never exclaim "Oh my God!" outside of a reverent call, saying "Good Lord!" or "Oh my Lord!"? I have been guilty of this myself, and I aim to make a point of stopping it.

How in the world I came to the point where I thought the name 'Lord' was less important, or deserving of less reverence than the name 'God', I'll never know. Maybe it has something to do with my upbringing- some southern family (and a Grandma in particular whom I loved dearly) who used the phrase often.

Whatever the reason, there is no excuse for this lapse of obedience. The God of Heaven, the Lord of the universe, the Savior of my soul is deserving of any and all reverence. I suppose all the thinking of my mouth from yesterday has brought to the forefront this subject which has been dangling in the back of my mind for some time. Especially the point Aussie Mama made about not really being anything 'casual' about what comes out of our mouths. A hearty amen!

I don't need to know if you've struggled with this too. (Although you can feel free to confess your fault if you so desire.) I do not want to be consoled with the idea that I am not the only one who has been in error. Many times I make statements here that encourage others to remind me that I'm not alone in my sin, looking for something to somehow excuse it.

This time (and from now on) I simply want to confess it and forsake it.

Lord, I am sorry that I have failed to fully reverence Your wonderful name. Please help me to remember to think before I speak, to honor You with each and every word, and to obey Your commandments. Please forgive me, and set a watch before my mouth. In the holy name of Jesus, Amen.

7 Comments:

  • WendyMom

    Amen!

    In addition to the what you have written in the last 2 posts, I have also been convicted about HOW I speak- that when I use a phrase that used to contain a swear word, and replace the swear word with something less offensive, I am still swearing. Just because I say "gosh" instead of God, doesn't make it right- I am still angry and swearing in my heart- where the Lord looks most of all! Not to mention the words, "crap" or "freakin'"- I think even people who aren't careful about what they say would agree on the definition of what those words are substituted for--- and again, for me, it is about the ATTITUDE behind what I am saying.

    It is all about the heart for me- when I am covered with the Lord for my day, focusing on HIm and communing with Him through the day- those phrases and words don't even come out- I don't have to give it conscious thought- they just aren't a part of how I speak--

    BUT -- when I am tired, frustrated, overwhelmed (in my flesh, in other words)- I find them creeping in.

    Thank you for your insight into these topics- it has lead me to a renewed desire to cleanse my heart, and in turn my mouth, so that all is pleasing to the Lord. I love you my friend!

  • Brenda

    I hear you WendyMom. Replacing them doesn't really make it OK. I am really convicted about what I say when I hear one of my sweet babies say the phrase. Crap doesn't really sound sweet coming out of little child's mouth and I realize it doesn't sound lovely coming out of mine either!

    Julie, I have thought this same thing about Lord lately. It was kind of in the back of my mind. Now.....I used to know this but what does LORD all capitalized mean again?

  • karly

    I shout out an "Amen!" too!

    I have to say, though, it's opposite for me. I feel the name Lord is more, uh, spiritual?? to those around me than the name God, so I use God in casual circles and Lord around my Christian sisters. People talk about God all the time-- in good and bad ways, nonetheless. But most people find the name God isn't as "convicting" as say, Lord, or even Jesus. It seems more benign.

    But now I confess that, because I am holding back, and if I claim to be a follower of the LORD, I should proclaim it without censor.

    As for the name LORD (all caps?) This gives good a good answer: http://www.gotquestions.org/LORD-GOD-Lord-God.html

  • JulieMom

    Thanks for your thoughts ladies! And for the link Karly. I had actually looked it up before, just forgot to mention it. :0)

  • Terry @ Breathing Grace

    Does "tartar sauce" count as a swear, too?

    I can apreciate the problem with "crap" (I have to be careful about that one), and even "gosh".

    I'm not trying to be facetious here because I truly appreciate, understand, and completely agree with this post.

    I guess my question is this: Are we to make it our aim not to voice our frustrations or irritability at all, ever?

    How's that for a discussion question?

  • JulieMom

    I think 'BLAST!!' Is perfectly acceptable! :0) Tartar sauce sounds good too, haha.

    The problem comes in, I think, when we take a word that sounds so much like the original that we may as well say the original word. Ya know?

    Of course, growling like an animal isn't very feminine either, yet I've heard women do that!!

    I totally understand what you're saying, and I'm not sure what the answer is. I just know when my attitude is wrong, and I have to watch out.

    And if voicing my frustration can't be done in a God-honoring way, then probably I should keep it to myself.

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Hmm. Convicting perspective. I never thought about it that way before. But then how about "Oh my word?" That's something I use a lot.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin