I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Oh My. Is It Easter Already??

Here in South Africa the Deaf people in our church don't buy new clothes just because it's Easter. They can't afford to. Little girls come in dresses they wear at least once a month. Sometimes they only own two or three dresses at all. So, I haven't found it terribly pressing to get my girls new dresses each Easter since we've been here.

This year? I don't know. I'm feeling like they need something special to wear. Why? Because they asked me about it, that's why. Nothing like pressure from a six year old.

But I am reluctant to go out shopping because:
A) I don't like to shop. There, I said it. Yes, I am a woman, but I get what I need and get out. I'm not up for the challenge of trying on and consoling when things don't fit.
B) We have lots of material lying around here right now that can be used to make something cute, before I run out and invest in store-made clothing.
C) I'm not so sure it's in our budget right now to get three new dresses that are frilly and fluffy and will (possibly) never be worn again.

Because did I mention it's dusty here? And if we wear open-toed shoes we come home with orange toes because of all the dirt and dust? And the chairs we use from the Deaf school often have food still stuck to them? So we wipe them down the best we can without access to water or soap...Yeah, frilly dresses seem like such a waste here.

But I have determined (I still have five days to get them done!) that I will make them something new. I will stretch my sewing skills and come up with something they will love, that will fit perfectly, that will be worn again and again, but still look special on this first time out.

These are the inspiration I've found so far.
Twirl Dresses
Spring Dresses
Dressing up t-shirts
Men's Shirt to Girls' Dress

Any other suggestions? I could really use some fast help here.

3 Comments:

  • Brenda

    My sister is just sewing a skirt onto the bottom of a cute shirt my niece has. Very simple and definately will be worn again. You can do it!

  • JulieMom

    Yeah, I'm thinking of doing that for Snow White. Actually, I already started this morning. I want to make it a layered skirt though, so I'm still thinking on it.

    Thanks for the encouragement!

  • WendyMom

    Jules-

    I think when you are home that we should raid/clean out all my hubby's old dress shirts and make a bunch of those dresses for the girls! I love the twirl dress too- but that looks harder than the other ones.... Make sure you post pics of what you end up doing- I think it's so cool!

    Love ya-

Blog Widget by LinkWithin