I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, February 26, 2010

A Word from a Friend

We have a special woman in our lives we call NanaMary. She is the mother of AuntBossy, and has been like a mother to me. Her mother from California visited (a few times) while I was living at their house (in the year before I married the Prince) and I came to call her Bestamor (the Scandinavian word for Grandma). Nana Mary's brother Art is a pastor, and she shared a devotion he did for a recent staff meeting. It touched my heart and made me cry. I thought anyone who had(s) a Christian mother would enjoy reading this. It sure was a blessing to me. (In the picture below, Art is the one standing in the back with his sisters.)

If two Christian players on opposing teams both pray for victory, how does God answer their prayers? If 10 players on one team and 9 players on the other team are praying to win does God weigh the collective prayers and award the most number of prayers offered the win or the most number of folks praying – or the longest collective amt of time spent in prayer?

Does the win go to the most sincere prayer or to the one who is the sentimental favorite because of all the trials they had to overcome on their way to the top. Does the
win favor the guy who says “Hi Mom” every time the camera is on him or the one who always kneels in the end zone and points up to the sky. Or is the outcome predestined so that no matter how many prayers one team offers they can never win because God has predetermined the MVP and point totals?

I know that God does not answers my prayers for SuperBowl victory – not once in the last 8 years has the team I’ve backed won – maybe it really is about coaching and playing better than the other guys.
Why do we spend our prayers on sporting competitions? Or for that matter, why do we spend our prayers on things that have only temporal significance?

Of course it is proper to make request to God – for daily needs, for ours and others well-being, for help in time of need, healing in sickness – I’m certainly not going to try and evaluate the merits of an individual’s prayer content. I’m just saying…
It’s nice to hear celebrities say a thank you to God when they win their trophy, CMA, Tony, Oscar, People’s Choice et al. Good for them for seizing a moment in the spotlight to give thanks to God. But how come you hear people thank God after a win for their great ability and good fortune but not after they lose that important game for doing something stupid on the field or when they fail to win the award that keeps eluding them?

We love wining and hate losing. People seem to think that God’s job is to help us win whatever is important to us - somehow He owes us a win. And boy does He get an earful when He doesn’t come through. God the creator suddenly becomes Simon Cowell who doesn’t understand how much I’ve wanted this – it means everything to me – and now MY dream is devastated. Oh the pain – OH THE HUMANITY!! I better get off this path… Let’s look at some Scriptures.

The apostle Paul speaks about a word that eludes most – contentment.
2 Cor 12:10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. Phil 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 1 Tim 6:8 If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content .

The Greek word is Arkeoo – it means to be possessed of unfailing strength; to be strong, to suffice, to be enough -
Is God really enough? Is anyone really content? I found a witness to this fact that God is enough in just the past weeks. That witness is my Mother, Emma Gorman. A woman of faith since 1972, she has always demonstrated compassion, hospitality and a peaceful deep resolve that Jesus is good for what He says. She trusts him. A few weeks ago her physician gave us the news that none of us were expecting – that she has a virulent and aggressive cancer with a grim prognosis. We were stunned.

We often say that great pressure and stress
brings out whatever is inside a person– it reveals character. What mom revealed is her rock solid trust in Jesus. When I asked her after her surgery if she felt God’s presence with her she said, “Oh yes! I ask him to hold me – and He does – it’s so warm and peaceful.”

When she was in pain after surgery we heard her whisper thanksgivings and praise to Jesus. In speaking of the possibilities in her future she references her h
ope of heaven and eternal life. She finds great joy in singing His praise – and has shared that gift with other residents of her skilled nursing facility. He is enough. His presence is enough. His promises are enough. You can see it in her face and hear it in her words. Call me biased, but the whispered thanksgiving of an elderly sick woman have more weight and glory than all the awards speeches of all the winners our world can produce.

It’s never too late to learn from your mother. Thanks mom for teaching us that Jesus really IS enough. You could have written it yourself – “Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.”


He is enough.


I hope that was a blessing to you. You can see from the picture what a beautiful and sweet woman 'Bestamor' is. And look at how happy her kids are! That's a testimony in and of itself that she's been a wonderful mother. Wow, this was a blessing to me.

4 Comments:

  • karly

    Oh, and it was a blessing for me, too! Giving thanks in all things, huh? That seems to be in front of me a lot recently...

    I'm so blessed you shared this. Thank you, Julie!

  • Terry @ Breathing Grace

    This post reminded me of how my MIL, in the midst her "losing" battle with cancer, smiled through her pain, praising God and comforting her four heartbroken boys at a time when she was most in need of comfort.

    Thanks for sharing this, Julie!

  • William

    What a precious child of God! What a testimony! Thanks for sharing this, Julie.

    Sheila

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Awesome testimony.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin