I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Homemade Falafel and Tzatziki

The other day I was in the mood for Mediterranean food, and have wanted to try making my own falafel that isn't from a mix. Back home in the States they have a pretty good brand, but I don't remember the name. Here in SA I have never seen it in a mix, so I searched until I found a recipe I liked.

And then I tweaked it.
So, here's what I ended up doing, and I hope you like it. There's also a recipe for homemade tzatziki, but you won't find hummus here because I don't have a good recipe for that. If you do, please pass it along!

Homemade Falafel

2 Cans Garbanzo Beans (chick peas)
2 onion, roughly chopped
6 Garlic cloves
2t dried parsley
4t cumin
2 1/2t salt
1/4t turmeric
1T Baking Powder
2 eggs
2C breadcrumbsWater

1. Place garbanzos, onions, garlic, parsley, cumin, salt, turmeric in a blender and blend until well mixed. Add a little water at a time if needed. Stop and mix it with a wooden spoon to keep it from getting too stopped up. You don't want to add too much water because a liquidy mix will not be a good thing. It should have the consistency of a thick baby food.
2. Place blended mixture in a medium size bowl, add eggs, breadcrumbs, and baking powder. (You may need more breadcrumbs, depending on how thick your mix from the blender is. Add breadcrumbs until you get a thick mixture that holds its shape well.) Mix well. Let sit ten minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet (over medium high heat), and roll falafel into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place them in the hot oil, and let cook until brown on the bottom, then flip and let brown on the other side.
4. Drain on paper towels for a few minutes, then serve in pitas with cucumber, tomatoes, hummus, and tzatziki (recipe below). YUMMY!!

They are also good crumbled over a regular salad, or on their own dipped in tzatziki. SO GOOD!!

Homemade Tzatzkiki


3 cups Greek Yogurt
3 T lemon juice
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 medium cucumbers; peeled, seeded and diced
about 1 T kosher salt for salting cucumbers
2t dried dill
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste


1. Measure yogurt and place in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. Peel your cucumbers, cut in half, and scoop out seeds.
3. Chop roughly and place in a colander. Sprinkle with salt. Drain thirty minutes.
4. Tip colander to get excess water out, then place cucmbers, garlic, lemon juice, and dill in a blender. Blend until smooth.
5. Fold blender mixture into yogurt. Refrigerate two hours if there's time. If not, eat right away. YUMMY!!!

This is good served on the pitas described above with falafel, or over a salad, or (like I made yesterday) chicken salad mixed with tomatoes and cucumbers and feta. With a pita on the side. YUMMY!!!!!

Hope you try it, and if you have a recipe for hummus, PLEASE share it!!

2 Comments:

  • Aunt Bossy

    I am SO making this next week. This week I made moussaka for Mark's b-day and it came out pretty good! (Considering it was a lower-fat version...) I LOVE falafel & tzatziki, and while I have attempted hummus I haven't mastered it yet. I'll keep trying...or I'll wimp out & buy the roasted red pepper hummus from Wegmans. :-)

    I love the "To NY" counter, by the way. Add a few more days & it's my counter, too! Love you! :-)

  • JulieMom

    I KNOW!!! SO excited! Is is public knowledge???

    I'd like your recipe for the moussaka. I have one, but it's full fat. (I also cut out the eggplant and use all potatoes! HA!)

    Love you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin