I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Saturday, February 06, 2010

God's Grace is Still Amazing

I just spoke with a missionary friend tonight that I haven't spoken with in a long time. Years, in fact. He caught me on Facebook chat, and the Prince and I sat and had a great conversation with him.

I didn't realize how out of the loop of his life we'd been.

I had seen pictures of him in the hospital on his Facebook page a few months ago, but I didn't want to ask "So, what's wrong with you?" because that sounds insensitive, especially when we hadn't spoken in so long.

But I did wonder.

And then, like most things I take in, it was stored in the backlog and I hadn't thought of it since. Until now. When he told us why he'd been in the hospital.

This young, single, Deaf man came to the US from Lima, Peru to study the Bible. After he graduated, he went back to his country to preach the Gospel. He left with 32% of his needed support, and trusted God for the rest. He worked faithfully for four years with a veteran missionary.

He is an exceptionally sweet young man, who has always been a good testimony, and had great faith that God can do the impossible.

Sometime after he arrived in Peru, he was raped.

Yes, it's not only women who are targeted for this reprehensible crime. And maybe the fact that Peru is the second largest producer of cocaine has something to do with it.

But now he has been diagnosed with HIV.

That's why he was in the hospital in those pictures.

And you know what? He told me God never makes mistakes. That He has a reason for this, and he quoted Jeremiah 29:11 to me.

And it makes me cry to type this, because he is still on fire for God. He is looking for a new mission field because it's hard for him to stay in Peru. He is praying for God's will, no matter what that might end up being. And he was thinking about South Africa because there are so many people infected with HIV/AIDS here, and he wants to reach them for God.

If it were me, I'm not so sure I would have reacted the same way.

See, I am so quick to complain when the internet gives me trouble, or the kids are too needy for my liking. I do not handle last-minute information well, and sometimes I think life is not fair to me because I don't get my way.

But this young man, he KNOWS God's grace is greater than even the horrible thing he's been through. It was such a blessing to be able to chat with him and hear him stand strong in the Lord's power.

I was very humbled.

Would you join us in praying for him? I haven't asked his permission to share his story publicly, so I won't give you his name for now, but God certainly knows who he is.

And I stand in awe at God's grace.

4 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin