I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Birthday Schmirthday

Tomorrow is my birthday. Yes, I am a valentine baby.

What does this mean? Does it give me some extraordinary power over people in the romance department? Can I attract men with just batting my eyelashes? Do friends and strangers alike come to me for relational advice?

No.

It simply means that, since I was born in the late 70s (1977 to be exact) that I had many a birthday cake shaped like a heart and covered in that bitter red frosting. Or pink frosting. With white lace-like swirls around the edges.

Tomorrow there will be no cake. Since I am the maker of cakes in this house, I have declared tomorrow cake-free. I. Will. Not. Bake. My. Own. Cake.

[says it ten times fast just to fortify the willpower]

And you know? Long gone are the days when I could hardly sleep because I knew the next day was my birthday. The anticipation of gaining another year just isn't there. Instead I'm wondering where the time has gone, and how could it be this time again already? I mean, didn't we just do this last year?

As I've aged I've become more thoughtful. I think. Not of people's feelings- I don't mean that kind of thoughtful, because I've always had a little too much concern in that area. But more aware of my inner self. The struggles I have, the things I have yet to accomplish, God's leading in my life...the important things.

Tomorrow I am sure my girls will wake me with kisses and hugs, sing happy birthday to me at LEAST as many times as years I am old, we'll have lunch out, and come home happy to be together. We might even watch a movie or play games.

It'll feel good to have them dote on me, to know they love me and want me to be happy, but can I be honest?

They do a pretty good job of that every day.

5 Comments:

  • impromptu-mom

    Although here in the land of snow and ice that birthed you, it's still Saturday, down there in crazy upside-down backwards Summer world, it's Sunday. So HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

    Many happy returns of the day.

  • Melissa Guerin

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY...IT IS STILL VALENTINE'S DAY AKA JULIE'S BIRTHDAY IN ROCHESTER!

  • karly

    Happy Birthday, dear bloggy friend! Hope your special day was, well, special! :)

  • Heather

    Happy Birthday, Julie! I had no idea you and I are so close in age. :-) Even though you wanted your birthday to be low-key, I sure hope you enjoyed it!
    Heather Stutzman
    Serving in the Philippine Islands

  • Just Jenny

    Hope you had a wonderful Birthday!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin