I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Monday, November 09, 2009

Some Craft Ideas...

This year I am not buying my kids one toy for Christmas.

Not. One.

They have too many as it is and can't keep their rooms neat. (Well, Sleeping Beauty does, but all the games and toys and Barbies are in her sisters' room.) Why should I buy more things to keep organized when we are completely happy with what we have?

So.

This year I am making gifts. Yes, that's right- MAKING. GIFTS.

And I couldn't be more exited about it. Today I even went out with a friend to a mosaic shop. And I am TOTALLY excited about what I found there.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Today I want to share some ideas with you for what you can do to make gifts too. Easy things that won't cost too much, but could be something your child will absolutely love.

Since I have little girls, whose hair is always in their faces, this idea seems so easy and smart! Braided elastic headbands. There's no limit to the material you can put together, and it doesn't cost a lot! Head over to Lu Bird Baby to see her tutorial. (By clicking the link above.)
My girls will LOVE these...and so will I! Hair in the face I cannot stand.

And I also plan to make these custom names, one for each girl to hang over their beds. Can it get much easier than that? Today I bought some decorative butterflies, and I already have ribbon and scrapbook paper.
The other little embellishments I am sure I can find at a craft store...and I plan to add beads too. In some fashion. Just not sure how yet. I think my girls will love them, and be very surprised. I may also throw in some wire. Who knows!

I also am planning to make them each their first and very own stocking. Since Snow White is into ballet, I am thinking of making her the ballerina shoe, Cinderella a kitty paw (adapted from the puppy paw), and Sleeping Beauty a pretty elf shoe. Aren't they adorable? And easy! And cheap! I also plan to stuff their stockings with American candy they don't get ever, and other little things I know they'll like. It should be great!

I also have material a friend sent over that's been staring at me since April (APRIL!) and needs to be made into sweet and awesome jumpers and dresses for summer. And I am still dragging my feet. Anyone want to fly over and help? Please? Those would make great gifts too...

And last but not least (because I have a few more ideas I'm brewing) I am making them each a bank. With mosaic sides. And a custom top. But I can't show you pics because this is something in my head. I bought all the supplies today, and I can't wait to get started! They will be absolutely personalized, and I think my girls will go crazy for them. And I will post the whole process. I am sure I will learn a lot, since I have never done mosaics before. We'll learn together, ok?

I don't want to make it sound like I am making everything, and they won't get a thing they want- that is not the case. They will each get one thing they want. Just not a toy. Sleeping Beauty wants a watch. Snow White a purse. Cinderella...a puppy. Which she won't get so I need to find something else she wants.

And we may buy one new family game. Something the Prince and I want to play too.

Anyway, this year it's all about the crafts. And remembering to be thankful for what we have. And doing for others.

I have this other great idea that ties into the "doing for others" thing. I just haven't squared away all the details yet. But I have all the stuff. And the excitement! But I will be posting soon about all that. Probably.

How's your Christmas planning coming? Making anything yourself? Do tell!!

6 Comments:

  • karly

    I'm inspired!! Love your ideas!

    Have any ideas of things to make for a boy? My big girl will LOVE all the things you listed, but I just know the elastic headband won't fly with my big boy. Gotta put on my thinking cap. :)

  • Giovanna

    I love the elastic headband - hair in the face kills me! I know I say a million times a day "where is your hairband!" The problem with her is she has a million of them but her hair is so fine they all just slip out - think I could glue it to her head! :)

    Of course, I'm just kidding, I would never glue it to her head!

    When my son wanted a puppy but he was too little for the responsibility of it, his grandmother got him a toy puppy that rolls and barks with voice activation. He still has it to this day and sleeps with it! It's so much less stress than a real one, and when your tired of hearing it you can just take out the batteries and act like you ran out of new batteries!

  • impromptu-mom

    Well, now I'm making a dozen braided headbands. What a great idea!

    Unfortunately, Sydda inherited my hair. Long and slippery, it's always in her face. I now understand my Mom's frustration when I heard "Get your hair out of your eyes" a million times a day as a kid.

    Best part is, I have everything I need already. I may whip a few tonight!

  • Jennifer

    That's a great idea! I love doing crafts. I haven't make it for a long time. It's time for me to do it during Thanksgiving break.

    Maegan's hair is very thick and wavy. I can't wait to have her hair grow longer to relax the wavy!

    I have one craft I learned from Ladies Retreat in NC, it's a paper necklace and make earrings. It's awesome!! I would love to show you how. But how on this blog??

    Looking forward see how you make it then I will learn. Thanks!! Love ya!!

  • Brenda

    I just love seeing all my friends over here!

    I have started my big list of present ideas....mostly all from online tutorials. Sew Mama Sew is a GREAT source this time of year!!!!

    The kids will get toys, but small ones. :) Mostly accessories to go with other stuff they already have. They (and my nieces) will be getting aprons inspired by this tutorial: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=2311

    I will throw in wooden spoons, measuring cups/spoons from the dolllar store and perhaps a kiddie cookbook. We shall see.

    And I'm making these from fat squares---$1 at WalMart this week!
    http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/media/blog/SMSPonytailScarf.pdf

    Oh, and these are totally showing up in the stockings:
    http://familycrafts.about.com/od/clothespins/a/clothespindoll.htm

    Hey Karly, remember that project you did last year? What was it? It involved printing and procrastinating.

  • Just Jenny

    I too am cutting back on gifts this year. Same reason - my son has WAY TOO many toys!
    And our budget this year is pretty slim. I will be blogging about my crafts - as soon as I stop procrastinating!!
    Boys gifst are harder to come up with - but I have a few ideas up my sleeve...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin