I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Holiday Recipe Party- Day Three (Sides)

While Giovanna and Impromptu-Mom have been excellent contributors to our little recipe soiree, I was hoping for a better turn out. So, let me just say for the record, that you readers without a blog feel free to put your recipe in the comments. I'm serious! I don't know why I didn't think to add that little disclaimer at the beginning, but there it is.

I expect more participation today, just so you know.

Sides are my favorite part of the holiday meal. Main dishes are okay, but since most sides contain some sort of carb or vegetable, they are high on my list of favorite foods. My Nan had them down to a science. There are SO many of her recipes I could share, I'll stick with this one.

Nan Pelfrey's Sour Cream Potatoes


2lb frozen hashbrowns (broken into bits)
1 stick melted butter
1 1/2 can cr. chicken soup (undiluted)
2 1/2C shredded cheddar
1/2C onion, chopped
1 pint sour cream
3/4t salt
1/2t pepper
1C chopped ham

Topping: 2C cornflakes mixed with 1/4C melted butter

1. Mix together all ingredients and pour into a greased 15x9 pan.
2. Top with cornflake mixture.
3. Bake at 350F for one hour.

Seriously, these potatoes will make you fat. You will want to keep on eating them well past the time when you should be full. I could eat a whole dish of these and skip everything else on the table. Wowee, they are that good.

My second recipe is a side dish, or an appetizer. Love this one too.

Raspberry Cheese Log

1/2 pound American cheese
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped pecans
5 to 6 green onions, chopped fine
6 oz. cream cheese
Mayonnaise
1 (6 ounce) jar (seedless) raspberry preserves

1. Mix all ingredients except preserves. Roll into a log on plastic wrap. Refrigerate one hour, or until set. Place on a serving dish and cover with preserves. Place your favorite crackers nearby and watch it disappear!

I almost forgot about this recipe, but when I was reminiscing over holiday foods from the past (do you ever do that? Have fond memories of food?) this came to mind. So glad it did and that I could share with you.

Your turn!! Give me something good!!

3 Comments:

  • Just Jenny

    I am having fun reading these recipes - but I am not a very good cook.
    So my recipes are plain, normal, been around the block a million times recipes that every body knows!

    But keep up the good work!! Maybe I will include a fun easy desssert when you get to that topic. I have an easy semi-homemade that is pretty good!!

  • Giovanna

    You didn't put the McLinky up : )

  • Brenda

    Oh, you wanted me to add the green bean casserole recipe from the side of the Durkee's can???


    Cause that's all I've got.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin