I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, November 20, 2009

Holiday Recipe Party- Day Five (Drinks)

My family (that I recall anyway) never really made special drinks for the holidays. I don't like eggnog [gag] and wouldn't drink it even if it were available, but there are some really nice ideas out there. Having something special to drink is just another of those touches that make the whole meal memorable. I am going to share one cold and one hot drink.

Yummy Holiday Punch

1 (3 oz) Cherry gelatin package
1 cup Boiling water
6 ounces Frozen lemonade
3 cups Cold water
1 quart Cranberry juice cocktail, chilled
12 ounces Ginger ale, chilled

Directions:
Dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in lemonade. Add cold water and cranberry juice. Place two trays of ice cubes in a large punch bowl; pour punch over ice. Pour in ginger-ale.

To make a nice ice ring to decorate the top of your punch, place whole cranberries and lemon slices in a decorative way in the bottom of a bundt or tube pan. Fill with the ginger ale and a bit of cranberry juice. (Not too much cranberry, or the color will be too dark to see the fruit inside.) Place in the freezer overnight. When ready to add to the punch bowl, set in a sink of warm water to loosen the bottom. Invert and place in punch. Pretty!!

Coffee Bar
Many, many people like coffee. Not me. But I like making things other people enjoy. So my thought is to have regular and decaf options, different flavored syrups to mix in or different creamers, and whipped cream for the top. You can also find a small grinder with sugar and chocolate in it. This is perfect for putting that special touch on the top of your whipped cream. The Prince loves his coffee that way. And the options of flavors are endless!

I hope you've enjoyed this series, even though there hasn't been too much participation. But I'm sure people are reading the recipes and getting ideas. Before we go, I want to leave you with a poem my friend emailed to me. I found this rather cute. Enjoy! And have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

TWAS THE NIGHT OF THANKSGIVING,
BUT I JUST COULDN'T SLEEP.
I TRIED COUNTING BACKWARDS,
I TRIED COUNTING SHEEP.

THE LEFTOVERS BECKONED -
THE DARK MEAT AND WHITE,
BUT I FOUGHT THE TEMPTATION
WITH ALL OF MY MIGHT.

TOSSING AND TURNING WITH ANTICIPATION,
THE THOUGHT OF A SNACK BECAME INFATUATION.
SO, I RACED TO THE KITCHEN, FLUNG OPEN THE DOOR,
AND GAZED AT THE FRIDGE, FULL OF GOODIES GALORE.
GOBBLED UP TURKEY AND BUTTERED POTATOES,
PICKLES AND CARROTS, BEANS AND TOMATOES.

I FELT MYSELF SWELLING SO PLUMP AND SO ROUND,
'TIL ALL OF A SUDDEN, I ROSE OFF THE GROUND.
I CRASHED THROUGH THE CEILING, FLOATING INTO THE SKY,
WITH A MOUTHFUL OF PUDDING AND A HANDFUL OF PIE.
BUT, I MANAGED TO YELL AS I SOARED PAST THE TREES....
HAPPY EATING TO ALL - PASS THE CRANBERRIES, PLEASE!!!

MAY YOUR STUFFING BE TASTY,
MAY YOUR TURKEY BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR POTATOES 'N GRAVY HAVE NARY A LUMP.
MAY YOUR YAMS BE DELICIOUS.
MAY YOUR PIES TAKE THE PRIZE,
MAY YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER STAY OFF OF YOUR THIGHS!!

0 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin