I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Craft Ideas for Christmas, Boy Edition

Karly left a great question in the comments yesterday.

"I'm inspired!! Love your ideas!

Have any ideas of things to make for a boy? My big girl will LOVE all the things you listed, but I just know the elastic headband won't fly with my big boy. Gotta put on my thinking cap. :)"

Well Karly, and anyone else with boys, I did come up with some super cool ideas (that girls might like too!) but they may not be what you want them to have. Some of them are gross. But since I don't have boys, I won't worry about that. Some you may have to dismiss because of the age of your boy, but generally I think these could be very fun things.

First up is building them a rocket from cardboard. This website has instructions, etc. You can either make it before hand, blank for them to paint it, or give the pieces to them wrapped up for you to work on making together at a later time. I think it's a neat idea!

The next item is homemade slime. Doesn't this sound cool? You make it with stuff you can find at the supermarket, and it whips up in no time. This cool science website has all the instructions. I think you could easily find a small plastic container to put it in, and print the label I made to glue (or Mod Podge) onto the front. (If you want the label, leave a comment with your email so I can send you the file.) Make different colors and package them up in similar tight-seal containers as a set. Hours of fun!

Another popular thing is road rugs. If your guy has a lot of matchbox (or Little People etc.) cars and vehicles, chances are he will need something to run them on. I agree with this post that the ones in the store are fixed. This tutorial (and some of the comments) are very helpful! While this is girly, you could change the papers used to fit a boy easily.

If you're really into making something fun, how about a marshmallow gun? This site gives you step-by-step instructions of how to put one together. Again, you can give the parts in a box and make it together yourselves, (including paints and brushes) or have it all ready to go along with a bag of "ammo". Fun! (And safe!)

For the little guy who can't get enough slime, make him his own bath soap! This tutorial gives you complete instructions. Instead of eyeballs, you could also float army guys, or any other plastic toy he would like. I would put this in an old pump soap container, so the little floating things can't come out until the soap is gone. If you want a label to match the contents, let me know in the comments and I'll see what I can whip up. Good thing there's lots of time before Christmas!

Another idea is to put together a Bug Collecting Kit. The ones in the store can be costly, but you could do the same thing for much less money. All you'll need are: A Bug Book, a fish tank net, magnifying glass, some jars with holes poked in the lids, and possibly a little safari-type hat. Hours of fun! Finding all the pieces is easy too, and packing it into a small box shouldn't be that hard. You could even re-purpose a shoe box and decorate it. (Again, if you want a cool label, let me know.)

Personalize a puzzle with pictures of him and his favorite people. Now, this is a little more difficult to make yourself, but the photo shops around here do it pretty cheaply. Check around online and see who has the best price. Or, make up one that has his favorite character plastered all over it. (But don't infringe on copyrighted images!)

Another idea is to make him homemade playdough in various colors. It's cheap and easy to make, containers from the dollar store would suffice, and the hours of play time enjoyed from it are worth the ten minutes it takes to throw it together. This site has several different recipes you can try. And again, if you want labels, let me know.

Sorry there aren't pics with this post, but I just can't bring myself to look at all the slime. LOL.

2 Comments:

  • Brenda

    Ooh! I want a label for homemade playdough! that would make it so much cooler!!

  • JulieMom

    Okee doke! Gimme a day or two...I'll send it via email, ok? One for a big tub or little jars of different colors? Let me know!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin