I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

End of the Month Supper

It's near the end of the month, and I must admit last night I hemmed and hawed at what to make, since I didn't do a meal plan this month, and the cupboards are indeed looking bare. I am also out of budget money until November the first, and didn't want to borrow from the next month. Because that's just a VERY bad habit.

And since no one wanted their very own can of chopped tomatoes with herbs, I was stuck.

I dug in the fridge and found a whole head of cabbage (bonus!), and in the pantry I had two medium size butternut squash. Now, I had thought I would make a cabbage casserole my mom used to make, but I had no ground beef. (Mince, if you will.) So that was out.

I made up a recipe. And the more stuff I put in it, the more I thought I had lost my mind.

But it turned out great! And the Prince said anyone would like it. Which means if I had a meat to go with it, I could even serve it to company. (Which I will NOT do any time in the foreseeable future.)

Anyway, here's what I came up with. I call it JulieMom's End of the Month Cabbage Skillet

You may change the name if you like.

Ingredients:
1 half head of cabbage, chopped
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced fine
4 potatoes, washed and chopped
2 onions, chopped
4T olive oil
salt and pepper
1C water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 Can cream style corn

Directions:
1. Place oil in a large skillet and heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add cabbage all at once. Stir and cook until wilted and semi-soft.
2. Add potatoes and squash. Cook in oil for three minutes. Add water and chicken stick cube. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Cover and cook until potatoes and squash are tender. Add more water if necessary. (You don't want stuff sticking to the bottom of the pan.)
4. When potatoes and squash are tender, add the can of creamed corn and heat through.
Serve in big bowls, and be thankful you had something to throw together!

I really liked it, and so did the Prince. Cinderella also ate it and loved it. The other two weren't so keen, so they had the last vestiges of leftover taco glop spread on tortillas.

They missed out! Let me know if you try it, and what you think. Also, any suggestions on how to add meat to it? I'd love your ideas!

2 Comments:

  • WendyMom

    I have no doubt it was awesome- sometimes the dishes we "throw "together are the best!

    If I were to add beef or ground turkey to it, I would cook the onions in some butter, then brown the ground beef in it. Then remove the cooked meat and onions and do the rest the same, add it back in at the end- it would probably rock! Cabbage and beef and corn? Yum!

    Not so much on the squash for me..but, each to his own! Hope all is well there-- Love you guys!

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    I don't know that I would add any meat to it. It sounds pretty good on its own. A tasty vegetarian meal.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin