I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, October 30, 2009

Butternut Squash Dinner Rolls

I may have mentioned that this week I am scraping the back of the pantry to put meals together. Have you noticed? Hey, at least I'm not trying to make cabbage bread! Here is Snow White illustrating the vast emptiness of our fridge.

The bowl on the top shelf holds ranch dressing leftovers. The blue Tupperware has strawberry jam, the bowl next to it has half a chunk of white margarine, the orange lidded container has pink frosting in it, and next to that is a head of lettuce.

She does indeed look shocked.

And she told me the neighbors could watch them while I went to the shops because we needed some stuff for our fridge. Like milk. So she can eat cereal again.

We have money, I want you to know. I am just enjoying (har har) the challenge of forcing myself to make meals with what we have left since the budget for this month is up. It's really a challenge, I'll tell you! Good thing it's almost over. I'm running out of ideas!

Tomorrow is a Deaf Women's Fellowship, and we're all supposed to bring food to share. I knew this. I did not plan for it, however, and got to thinking yesterday that I was in big trouble. In the fridge I have lettuce. And apples. And lemon juice. Hmmm...in the freezer I have chocolate chips.

Chocolate Chip Lettuce Wraps anyone? With apple- lemon glaze?

No?

In the pantry I have all the baking supplies I need. (Although flour and sugar both are running low.) And I had a butternut squash looking at me, begging to be used. So I put my searching skills to use and found a dinner roll recipe using butternut squash.

I will now share it with you.

Butternut Squash Rolls

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups cubed winter squash (Acorn, Butternut etc.)
1 cup milk (or dry milk powder and water- which is what I used)
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup shortening (I used margarine.)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small saucepan, cover squash cubes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash.

2. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine 5 cups flour, sugar and salt. Stir in the yeast mixture, shortening, squash and milk. Mix well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 8 minutes.
Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
3. Divide the dough into twenty four equal pieces and form into rounds. Place the rounds in a lightly greased cake pans.
Cover with a damp cloth and let rise 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. (Check them because they can brown quickly. If that happens, just cover them lightly with foil and bake until done through.)
I know they sound weird. But they are a pretty yellowish color, and they taste good. Just make sure they are done all the way through. No one likes a doughy dinner roll.

This recipe originally says it makes twelve rolls, but those would be HUGE. I divided it into twenty four pieces and still got very decent size rolls from it. You could even divide them up smaller and bake them in a 9x13 pan if you wanted. One lady said she got 32 from it.

I hope you are brave like me and willing to try something new. Like eating the stuff in the WAY back of the pantry. But not Chocolate Chip Lettuce Wraps.

Ew.

5 Comments:

  • Ploner

    You are my hero - squash ROCKS! And John hates it. Maybe I'll try to make this without him knowing there is squash in there and see what happens...

  • Brenda

    Chocolate Chip Lettuce Wraps anyone? With apple- lemon glaze?

    Um, no thank you.

    You remind me of when Pa didn't get paid for his job at the lumber mill and they had run up a tab at Oleson's Merchantile and they had to do without for weeks while they all pulled together to earn enough to pay their debt. My kids LOVE that episode.

  • WendyMom

    Oh my goodness!!! I swear to you that just last night I bought a butternut squash at Tops to make this VERY SAME recipe!!!!

    (Cue the Twighlight Zone music!)

    Mmm, Ok- I knew there was a reason we were such good friends!~!!

    Love ya girl- glad to see they are good to make....

  • JulieMom

    Ploner- Squash does indeed rock!! I am finding more and more ways to use it. It's so versatile! Who knew?

    Brenda- Maybe someone will make those lettuce wraps for a women's function at your church. Maybe. You'll have to let me know if they're any good. :0)

    WendyMom- That's too weird! GET. OUT. OF. MY. HEAD. Love you!

  • Amy Lee Carp

    was wondering what to do with the butternut squash sitting in my fridge when i came across your blog. these are SO DELICIOUS! thank you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin