I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Wisdom From My Mother

I was going through all the extra papers in my Bible this morning after my reading, and I found several slips of paper that my Mother had written on. They are poems meant to encourage, and I have no idea if she wrote them herself or if they are quotes from someone else. I hope they are a blessing to you.

Poem 1:
"A careless word may kindle strife,
A cruel word may wreck a life.
A bitter word may hate instill,
A brutal word may smite and kill.

A gracious word may smooth the way,
A joyous word may light the day.
A timely word may lessen stress,
A loving word may heal and bless."

Poem 2:
"It's easier to preach than to practice,
It's easier to say than to do.
Most sermons are heard by the many,
But taken to heart by the few."

Poem 3:
"Is there no other way open, God,
Except through sorrow, pain an loss,
To stamp Christ's likeness on my soul-
No other way except a cross?

And then a voice stills all my soul
As stilled the waves of Galilee,
'Can'st thou not bear the furnace heat
If midst the flames I walk with thee?

I bore the cross. I know its weight.
I drank the cup I hold for thee.
Can'st thou not follow where I lead?
I'll give thee strength. Lean hard on Me.'"

Oh, these poems touch my heart and bring tears to my eyes. It gives more of a glimpse into what my Mother's walk with the Lord was like. Though she's been gone for sixteen years, finding these papers brought to mind many memories of her. And the slips of paper are safely tucked back in where I found them.

It's been a good morning.

4 Comments:

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Lovely poems. Thanks for sharing.

  • Terry @ Breathing Grace

    I think I may steal the one that alludes to the old adage about actions speaking louder than words.

    Can I print it? Not to publish, but to recite to my kids!

    ...Not to mention remind myself,:)

  • JulieMom

    Sure! Feel free to! Like I said, I don't know that she wrote them...not sure who did. They were in her handwriting, but who knows. Thanks for asking! :0)

  • Kristen

    I can't believe it's been sixteen years. :(

    What a wonderful treasure to find!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin