I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Homemade Pitas

Did you know you can make your own pitas? We (obviously) eat a lot of Greek food around here. And Indian. It's good to have a bread you can use to fill with meat and veggies, or sop up curry with. And my friend Impromptu-Mom posted a recipe she found at The Fresh Loaf.

So I thought I would try it. Pitas are easier to make than I thought, and my family LOVES these. They are so soft and yummy! Especially fresh out of the oven. So I thought I would do a tutorial so you can see step-by-step how to make them. And because I like posting my own pictures.

3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon honey
1 packet yeast (or, if from bulk, 2 teaspoons yeast)
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups water, roughly at room temperature
2 tablespoons olive oil

*And I must tell you that I ALWAYS double this recipe. They disappear too fast otherwise!*

First you want to mix the flour, yeast, and honey together. Add the olive oil and water.

Stir together with a wooden spoon. All the ingredients should come together to form a ball. If some of the flour won't stick, add a little more water.

Next, turn the ball out onto a floured surface, (wax paper will help keep your counter clean, but you'll want to measure it out before you remove the dough from the bowl) and knead for ten minutes.
See how pretty it is?
Put it in a lightly greased bowl (turning the dough to completely cover it) and cover with a kitchen towel. Let it rise 90 minutes.
When it's done, punch it down in the center and gather it into a smaller ball.
Divide into eight (or sixteen if you've doubled it) balls. Cover and let them rest twenty minutes. While the dough is resting, turn a cookie sheet upside down on the middle rack to let it heat. This is where your pitas will bake. A baking stone would work well too, but I don't have one. Also, if using a baking stone, you MUST put it in the oven when you turn it on to preheat. Otherwise it will crack and you will be angry with me for not warning you. So, you are warned.
Sprinkle a little flour on your work surface, and using a rolling pin, roll a dough ball to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick. I do two at a time, and bake them together.
When they're rolled out, plop them onto the cookie sheet (which is upside down, remember) and watch them puff! Bake them for three minutes.

Yumminess!!
Some of mine didn't puff up at all, and other puffed WAY up. But they all were tender and delicious, so puffing isn't absolutely necessary.

When cut in half, they have a nice pocket, but if you roll them to 1/8 inch before baking, it's difficult to fill them because the sides aren't strong. But they are good to fold in half after you've smeared them with hummus, and lined them with lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers, and topped them with tzatziki.

These are definitely Oh-My-Granny good!! Hope you try them sometime soon.

3 Comments:

  • karly

    Okay. This looks like something I could actually try. Soon! Can't wait!

    Thanks for the tutorial, Julie!!

  • JulieMom

    Aw, you're welcome Karly. Let me know how they turn out! They're really pretty easy. I would say MUCH easier than a loaf of bread.

    Have fun!

  • Jenna

    These look delicious! I was wondering if you've tried them with whole wheat flour?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin