I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Question and Answer Time

Today I have several questions, and am needing some answers. I know I already asked you all about the sex question, and I appreciated everyone's comments and suggestions. I still have some more research to do on it, and I'll let you know my findings.

There are some other questions burning in my mind, the answers for which are avoiding me. Maybe it's because I have the creeping crud, and they're afraid of catching it. Mostly I think, though, that some I know the answers to and don't want to follow through.

Anyhoona- here's the list. Let me know if you have any help.
1. How do you get your kids to remember the names of coins and their values?
2. How can I help my kindergartner really focus on sounding out words and not guessing when reading?
3. How many licks does it take to get to center of a Tootsie Pop?
4. What can I do to implement a chore routine for my kids? And get them to do it on their own?
5. How do I know when one of my kids is really still hungry, or just eating because there's food?
6. Who killed J.R.?

I think that's all for now. There should be easy answers to some of them. For the school things, I'm sure it's all stuff that will come in time. I probably just need to chill a little.

And probably the answer to all of them is that I just need to be more involved in what they're doing. I work with them on their school, answer their questions, etc. but do I need to implement a practice time separate from their school work? It seems like our school day takes a LONG time to finish, and then there's dinner to make, dishes to wash, time for them to run around a while, then clean up and bed. I have a hard time making them do school things outside the school day.

I could make it fun. I could get all excited and pretend I love reviewing this stuff as much as they hate it, but that would be a lie. I am selfish and want them to learn it all on the first try so we can do some other things, for pity's sake.

And probably this post is getting written because I'm sick, and my house is a wreck, and I feel a little out of sorts, so I am over-analyzing everything. And making myself out to be the bad guy in all of it.

I know my kids are smart. I know they can all hear me when I talk. So, how do I get them to DO what I've said. I mean, how many times does one need to remind them (in the morning, everyday) that their morning things are to be done before we start school? And since they're not old enough to be worried about how they look and whether their clothes match, I know they're dawdling instead of working.

Help!!

6 Comments:

  • Brenda

    No time right now, but I can help you with #4.


    Later.

  • Joni

    The key to learning at any age, in my opinion is repetition, repetition, repetition.

  • Joni

    These are some great questions, but you need to stop doubting yourself. You're a great mom and you're doing a great job!

  • Aunt Bossy

    Oh boy, you asked for advice! Bestill my beating heart, here I go:

    1.) Joni called it--repetition is the mother of memory. In your case, you could TOTALLY make up some sort of board game...or make coin cookies...there are ways to review that can be combined with out-of-school activities. That's the beauty of homeschool--there doesn't have to be such a division of home and school. You have the freedom and ability to reinforce the expectations for both environments because they are one and the same.
    2.) Hmmm..I'm guessing that she sees the 1st letter of the word then guesses and that those guesses make some kind of sense. One trick is to cover up the pictures so she can't use the picture clues to help her fill in the word. You can also encourage her to take her time--given that both of her sisters are fluent readers, she may want to sound just like them when she reads and therefore she makes guesses so she can read faster. You can also have her read aloud to you and take note of which words she guessed at. Then you can tell her that you noticed that she guessed at, say 6 words and have her go back and figure them out. Then have her read the same passage again, reinforcing that it is OK to take her time to figure out words she doesn't recognize right away. You can tell her you'll be counting this way every time you hear her read, and the goal is 0 guesses. Having some sort of measure of her progress might help motivate her to slow down and use her sounding-out strategies.
    3.) According to the owl, wasn't it 3 licks? Although he totally cheated and chomped on the last "lick." Recount!
    4.) You'll probably hear from many folks who have done this successfully. But if your girls like to have tangible measures of their progress/achievement, checking off to-do lists can work wonders. You can fancy up a chore chart like no one can--wait, I know--you can make a chore chart cookie! (Ok, that's going a little too far...)
    5.) What works for me: not serving the food family-style; if it's not on the table, it doesn't call out to you. I know for me, I portioned out our plates then "served" the leftover containers right away & put them in the fridge to keep me from going back. This approach would benefit everyone--you all eat the one serving and that's it. If she (or anyone else) is still hungry 20 minutes after the meal is over, then she (or whoever) can have a snack and you'll know to increase the serving size next time.
    6.) Sorry, can't help you there.

    Now, I said all of the above because you asked and I LOVE to give helpful advice. But the truth is, except for perhaps #2, you didn't really need me to say any of that. You are MORE than capable of finding solutions to all of your questions, just not right now when you're stuck in Phlegmville. Once you get better, you can use what we all have to say to springboard into your own, imaginative solutions. Which you will then share with us (please) so we can learn a thing or two!

    Love you!

  • JulieMom

    I love it when a plan comes together!

    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. And Brenda, I'm counting on you! Don't let me down! :0)

    Joni- Thanks for saying I'm a great Mom. I love you.

    Aunt Bossy- I do read aloud with Snow White, and make her stop when she guesses and sound out the words. many times she'll take a letter from the end of a word and pop it on the front where it doesn't belong. When should I get concerned about dyslexia?

    And you're right. I can TOTALLY do this. It's just easier when I'm well. :0) Love you too.

  • Eaglemyst

    For chores I would suggest letting them do one thing for a couple of weeks at the same time every day. After a while it becomes habit and they just automatically do it. Like, they can't leave their room til the bed is made. After 2 weeks, they can't leave their room til their bed is made and their dirty laundry is picked up. A couple of weeks later add some evening things like taking out the trash directly after dinner.

    I think the key is little things a little at a time to make it habit forming.

    Don't beat yourself up. It could be worse. They could be in an American public school being taught that their parents "opinions" don't matter. One thing I've learned is when you hit a bad time, just wade through it. Eventually you will feel better, your house will get put back together, and the kids will be on a roll once again.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin