I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Our Words

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."

What exactly defines corrupt communication? Is it only swearing? Or yelling? Or calling someone an ugly name? Well, I think all those are definitely included in corrupt communication, but there's more. What about gossip? What about bad attitudes? Or lies?

According to this verse, anything that doesn't minister grace unto the hearer is corrupt. At least that's what I get out of this verse.

So what does that mean, exactly- minister grace unto the hearer? Well, grace is getting what we don't deserve, right? And ministering is doing something in the Lord's service for someone else.

So I guess the implication here is that the words which come out of our mouth are supposed to be part of us doing the Lord's service to another, giving them what they don't deserve.

Huh?

Speaking with kindness when someone accuses you of something you didn't do. Responding with patience when the kids have ignored you, instead of threatening with empty words. It means not speaking back to a person in the way they are speaking to you if they are clearly not in control of themselves.

It's dying to self, again.

It's remembering that God knows what the truth is, and we are to leave ourselves to Him that judgeth righteously.(I Peter 2:23) Our mouths are a very strong weapon.

Ephesians 4:31 "Let all bitternes, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you with all malice: (32) And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

That's quite a list of things there in verse 31. Maybe your first thought, like mine, was "I don't have a problem with those things. I'm not an animal for Heaven's sake."

But really I think it goes back to the motivation behind our words. Why are we saying what we're saying?

'splain please. Gladly.

When we make a comment that seems innocent, but our purpose behind it is to wound another, then we are speaking from bitterness, wrath, and clamour. There's a lot more to it than just the words that come out of our mouth.

If we are using our words to punish another, then our purpose is to hurt them, or make ourselves look better; not minister grace.

So many times I find myself saying things I don't want to say, or being provoked too easily. It's like I open my mouth, and some wire hooked to my brain gets disengaged. I just let whatever pops into my mind come tumbling out.

Proverbs 29:11 "A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards."

Well I guess we know how God feels about that, now don't we?

Not only is it unwise to speak that way, but if our words are hasty, with lack of thought behind them, then there is no way they are Spirit led. Especially when they wound another.

How many times, in the heat of conversation (or in the middle of a frustrating day) have I let something come tumbling out of my mouth, only to wish instantly I could take it all back? Or I've 'scored a point' in a conversation or debate, but feel bad about it later?

That would be the prompting of the Holy Spirit. If we are going to use our words to hurt others, to elevate ourselves, or to take the focus in any way off of Jesus, then we are wrong in our motives and actions. So what can we do?

Well, you’ll just have to come back tomorrow and find out… (dontcha just love a cliff hanger?)

1 Comments:

  • Joni

    So, I take it you're feeling a bit better?? Ya know, it's interesting that you brought this up. Eph. 4:29 is the verse I had Dean write on Monday because he keeps using potty words. And he still remembers it today (I know it's only Wednesday, but that seems pretty good for a three year old). We've been talking about the words we say pretty much everyday this week.
    It's definitely something we're trying to drum into the teenagers' heads because they don't get it...yet. Thanks for the reminder and the explanation...I needed that. Love you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin