I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Monday, June 08, 2009

His Promise is Always Good

This morning I was reading in Haggai...obscure, I know...

Anyhoona- I was reading in chapter two, verse five (well, I was reading the whole book, all two chapters of it...) when this verse struck me:

Haggai 2:5 "According to the word that I covenanted with you when ye came out of Egypt, so my spirit remaineth among you: fear ye not."

Now, this may not mean a whole lot to you if you don't know the back story of this book. Haggai was a prophet. [ooh-ooh...sounds better with Jonah.] He has returned to Jerusalem with the remnant after the 70 years' captivity. Whether he was born during that time, I have no idea. (But it would make sense, wouldn't it?)

He was given the job of trying to admonish the Israelites who had stopped working at rebuilding the temple in order to make their own homes beautiful. I don't mean they took a break in the work to get their homes established, I mean they had neglected the Lord's house for years.

Anyway, the thing that struck me in 2:5 was when God says: 'When you came out of Egypt...' (emphasis mine). These people didn't come out of Egypt themselves. That was a long time ago. This is after David was king, after Solomon was king, after Daniel was in the lion's den...it was way after the whole Red Sea parting. (Remember the people who actually came out of Egypt died before the Israelites entered the Promise Land.)

As I read that, and saw the words God used, it was evident to me that His promise is always good. Things He originally promised the Israelites who came out of Egypt still stand for these people years and years after the fact. He is reminding them of His power.

The parting of the Red Sea was a major event. I mean, we're still talking about it today! It was a huge showing of the power of God, and here He is reminding these people that He is still powerful, and that His spirit is still with them.

They need not to fear.

So how does this apply to me?

Well, sometimes I forget that part. That when God is with me I need not to fear. There are so many crazy things happening in the country that used to be my home, and when I hear about them it makes me sick to my stomach with worry. When I focus on the events of the times, and forget the things that God has done in the past to help, protect, and show Himself strong on my behalf, I fall into fear.

But His Spirit is still with me. He is still the same powerful God that led the Israelites (His people) out of Egypt, and parted the Red Sea. The promises He has made are always good. And they apply to me because I am one of His people.

And that was a comfort to me this morning.

1 Comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin