I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Fun with Fondant

Cake by Elea Wade Craig, via Candy Land Crafts

I love Kadie's Bakery Supplies here in SA. They have a lot of products available to help making cake decorating fun and easy! There are so many pans, cutters, sugars, glitters, etc. that one's head can spin while there. And I could easily spend all the money saved for my kids' college educations on cool stuff I find!

Last time I was there, the fondant was looking at me. I mean, intensely gazing at me. Like it wanted to pick a fight. I stared right back, then suddenly found myself reaching up and throwing some of the colors into my basket. I didn't really know what I was going to do with it. I surely wasn't going to cover a whole cake with it. Heaven forbid!

When I got it home, I put it in my baking cupboard and left it alone. (Well really I put it in my fridge until I found out you're not supposed to do that. Then I moved it to the cupboard.) It stayed there for a few days, until I got up enough courage to try it out.

I scoured the internet in the days prior to using it to try and find a good website that would show me all the wonderful things I could do with this fondant. I was really disappointed. There aren't many websites. One that I did find that shows how to make a fondant rose is Sugarcraft.com. This is their fondant rose on the right. Isn't it beautiful? I have no idea how they get the petals so thin, and I was disappointed there weren't more lessons. A beginner like me really needs to know the basics.

So, I will share with you the basics of fondant. I didn't make the one I used. Remember, I bought it from the bakery shop. And I will admit it doesn't taste nice. (I ate one petal from a tiny flower.) I don't like it at all. If When I try to make my own, I will try this recipe first. Sounds good with white chocolate in it, doesn't it?

Fondant (follow the recipe in this link through step five) is a paste made from sugar syrup or marshmellows, and powdered sugar. After the ingredients (which vary depending on the recipe you use) have boiled, you stir and scrape and knead with powdered sugar as it cools. The paste (that's kinda like playdough) that results can then be used to roll and cut out shapes, hand shape items, or drape over a frosted cake for a smooth finish.

When the fondant is cool, you can add gel colors to make it the shade you want. You never want to use liquid color, as that will make the sugar in the fondant melt, and you'll be left with a sticky mess. Then you'll be frustrated because it will be ruined before you ever begin.

You can find gel food colors at candy/cake supply stores, or maybe from your grocery store. It's also important to note that you'll want to cover your counter with baking paper, and wear gloves if you don't want your hands stained.

Anyhoona, let's get on to the using it, shall we? This is the fun part. (At least it was for me.)

The first thing I did was go to the sucarcraft website, and looked at their rose several times. I didn't have my computer in the kitchen, so I basically made it up as I went along, though the directions were pretty simple.. The first step is to pinch off a chunk of fondant in the desired color. If it feels a little stiff, then roll it between your hands for a minute. Then you'll have to let it sit and cool down a bit, or it will be too sticky.

When it feels ready, pinch off a smaller piece of fondant to form a cone.
Pinch off another piece and squish it around in your fingers until it looks a little like a flower petal. If it feels sticky to the touch, dip your fingers into some powdered sugar and rub it around a little on the tips of your fingers. It should be easier to use after that.
Then you put your petal along the side of your cone, and wrap it around. This forms the center of your flower. The wider you make the petal, the father it wraps around the cone.
Continue pinching off fondant and making petals, attaching them to the sides of the growing flower, alternating them around the sides so they overlap one another. You can pull the tops slightly away from the center and shape them as you go along. Your petals will have to be wider as you go as well, or they won't wrap far enough around the flower and will look goofy.

You will notice that the base of the flower seems to be getting taller and taller. (At least mine did!) I didn't want my flowers to sit two inches off the cake, so I took my butter knife and sliced a good bit off the bottom. I think this also helps to "weld" the petals together. Then I bumped the bottom a few times with the flat side of the knife to make them sit level.
And there you have it!

Here are some of the finished ones I made. I know the orange plate isn't the best choice for a background, but it's the only plain color plate I have. The baking paper and the counter wouldn't let the camera focus properly. So just pretend the orange doesn't clash too terribly, ok? Thanks!
Now I know you're wondering what I'm going to do with these, and the answer is: I don't know! I need to make some cupcakes or something to stick them on. Maybe I'll do that for Bible Club this Friday and give them away to the winning team. Who knows...but I will NOT eat them myself.

They don't taste good, remember? :0) Hope you learned something new!

4 Comments:

  • ObamaMama

    So in my ultimate boredom today I was googling my name and lo and behold I came across your blog :) And my name and cake (THANKS for giving credit on the cake, I appreciate it!!)

    Yes- fondant does taste awful, every recipe I have ever tried does. Even more so if you want to be able to use it successfully as a modeling medium! And you have the steps down to making a rose perfectly :) And they look fantastic!

    Really there is no "secret" to getting the petals thinner other than practice, practice, practice, a lot of patience and just keep gently working the exposed edge, gently pulling and shaping. Just keep in mind that when making thin petals you need to start off with a much smaller amount of fondant to begin with.

    Thank you for my morning smile :)
    -Elea

  • gin

    so, silly question, what do you do with it if you don't eat it?

    your roses are awesome! i don't think i could ever do something like that :)

  • Brenda

    Your flowers are great, you are so brave, etc.

    Now....that plate is SO not orange. That is yellow.

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Good job JulieMom. Your roses look lovely.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin