I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, June 12, 2009

Fitness Friday: Rocket Science Edition

If you haven't read Brenda's edit for her post on this subject, you have to run over there right now. I am literally dying from laughter over it. A real, live "Directory of Science"...wow. I am in awe, and slightly embarrassed. 'Cause I think the whole 'rocket science' in the title threw them off and they didn't really read the whole post...how ironic. Aren't they supposed to be geniuses?

I think from now on all my blog post titles will contain 'Rocket Science' in some form or another. Who knows how many new readers I could snag that way...

Anyhoona, the point is to keep today's post simple. I think I may have already failed at that. (But simple and brief are not always the same thing, right?) We are to list our three (to five) top tips for fitness/health/nutrition. Are you ready for mine? Here we go.

1. Remember you're not in this alone
What do I mean by that? Well, it's not just a physical issue, it's a spiritual one. How many of us have realized that since we've started our weight loss/better health journeys that we've been in disobedience to God in some form? When we remember to ask Him to help us fight this battle, then we are depending on His strength (infinitely better than our own), and will be that much more successful.

I also think related to this, that everyone needs an accountability partner. It's not enough for most people to make a decision to get fit. We need someone who will check on us now and then to make sure we're on track with our goals, and encourage us when we feel like giving up because it's our feminine time or we've had a bad day and eaten an entire pie. Positive peer pressure is a good thing.

2. Everything in Moderation
Yes, everything. It's okay to have sweets now and then, and even soda. The key is to not over-indulge. (Like drinka six pack of soda and eat a pan of brownies. At once.) And when you start cutting things out completely, you run the risk of feeling deprived, and going on a binge. What's the point in that? A good rule of thumb is to think about how much of a food you want to eat, and then take half that. If you're still hungry, you can go back for a little more. When we put a full portion on our plate, most of us are so trained to eat it all that we will finish it whether we really want to or not.

The whole moderation thing applies to the other end of the spectrum too, with exercise. You can go overboard with micro-managing your health. Like exercising two hours every day, only drinking water and eating crackers, etc. Your desire to be thin/healthy/beautiful can cloud rational thought, and you can go overboard. That's why Tip Number One is so important. The Holy Spirit will be your check.

3. Get Moving
It makes sense that you have to burn more energy than you consume to lose weight. So if you sit around at a desk all day, and then sit around on a couch all night and never move around, chances are you are gaining weight every day. Maybe you're blessed with a high metabolism, and you don't gain it quickly, but over time your body will change, and that will slow down considerably.

Better to add a little walk to your day, or a run, or jumping jacks. Take a break every hour or two and do a little five minute thing. Or join a gym. If you're a person who is highly motivated, then you can exercise at home with canned veggies. Lots of bicep and tricep exercises to do with those. The point is, just do something.

Those are my top three. I think if you get number one in line, and be consistent with it, the other two will come. You will be convicted when you are not acting in moderation, and also when you're being a lazy slug. Head on over to Brenda's for more entertaining encouragement.

HAPPY WEEKEND!

10 Comments:

  • Brenda

    EXCELLENT JulieMom!!! You are right on the money!!!!

    I have a few things though---I am so glad that I have never drunk a 6 pack of cokes and consumed a whole pan of brownies in one sitting. I ALWAYS try to break that into a morning/afternoon thing. Whew!

    Also, I can't get my canned veggies to work out with me. The lazy bums.

    :) I love ya!

  • Erin

    Great points! I have an accountability partner, and boy does it work well, especially when said partner is also the one who lives with you and knows exactly what you've been up to, or not ;-)

  • gin

    although i have never eaten a pan of brownies, i have consumed a dozen cookies hot out of the oven alongside my 'accountability partner' with a very tall glass of milk...shame on me! (but, man, were they good!!)...

    that hasn't happened in a while, mostly because i haven't baked cookies! much to my hubby's dismay :) as for your lists, ditto to what brenda said! i know it to be true, but putting it into practice isn't easy...sigh

  • TAMI

    Especially appreciate your "everything." That works best for me too!!

  • Luanne

    Great advice Juliemom :) And you are proof to all of us that it can be done :) Thanks for your encouragement every week! I look forward to it so much!!

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Great tips.

  • Terry @ Breathing Grace

    Loved this, Julie. Especially number 1!

  • JulieMom

    Brenda- I don't know what to tell you about your veggies. Are you buying a generic brand? Those ALWAYS give me a hard time. It's worth the little extra to get the good ones. They even push me a little in our workouts. :0)

    Love ya too!

    Erin- My hubby would be a great choice, since there isn't anyone else around for it...and he would be consistent too. Something I struggle with. Ugh!

    Gin- Oh my goodness! You are killing me!

    Tami- Love that philosophy. Spills over into other places, doesn't it?

    Luanne- Thank you too! You're so cheery!

    Great Granny and Terry- Thank you!

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    I love your idea for a Don't Be A Negatron T-shirt. When you make it, I'll be sure to buy one. Or even more than one--to pass out to friends and family. Ha Ha. Seriously though, you should look into it. It's a wonderful idea. Bet they would sell like hot cakes.

    P.S. You need to add the link to your blog to your profile. As it is right now, you can't get to it from there. Just FYI

  • the "mom"

    hi there
    new to your blog!!
    love it..

    great fondant roses by the way!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin