I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, June 05, 2009

Fitness Friday: The Eclectic Edition

I have been sick this week. My whole family (except the Prince) has been sick. I had tracheitis, and it has some long-term effects I hadn't planned on. While the congested/hard-to-breathe symptoms are gone, the being worn out and exhausted has not. And it's making me crazy. By eleven every day I'm ready to curl back up in bed. Ack!

Needless to say the only exercise I got this week was washing dishes, and walking around at the shops. But I am ok with that. Sometimes you just have to let the body rest. Either that or pass out on the treadmill and risk getting a rubber burn when it throws you off. Not to mention the embarrassing flailing you're sure to do on the way down. Nice...

Anyhoona...

Since it's open posting again this week, I thought I would share some helpful hints with you, and a recipe! It's vegetarian, so I know many of you will freak out and tell me your husbands (or your kids) will never eat that for dinner. To those of you with hubbies that think dinner means man-sized meat, and only meat, then you can use this as a side dish. But it wouldn't hurt to warn them ahead of time, and ask for their help to introduce new foods to the family.

Remember- how can they say they don't like it if they haven't tasted it yet?

First I'll start with my helpful hints on how to avoid giving in to a craving. It takes planning, just like grocery shopping, menu planning, and cooking. When you have a plan in place, (like following certain steps when something happens) then you're that much closer to success.

How To Avoid Giving In To A Craving:

1. Take a time-out and pray. Ask God to give you strength to withstand!

2. Drink a full glass of water. No cheating, down the whole thing! It will fill you up, hopefully long enough for the craving to subside.

3. If that doesn't work, go and brush your teeth. No one likes to eat stuff when their teeth are nice and shiny! Plus, toothpaste makes most everything else taste really bad.

4. If you're still struggling, go clean something. Your distracted brain will stop thinking about the food, and your body will follow suit. (And you'll be that much farther ahead!)

5. Wow, this is a strong craving if you need another tip. :0) But go to your room and shut the door, then do twenty jumping jacks. (Now you know why I said to shut the door!) The exercise will boost your energy level, and you'll feel better besides.

6. Make sure you're eating a balance of protein, fiber, and fat. If you're not, you'll have more cravings.

7. If you crave something sweet, eat frozen grapes. Green ones are our favorite. Wash and drain them, then pop them in the freezer on a cookie tray. When frozen, pour them into a Tupperware bowl or Ziploc Bag. Then take a few out at a time. When something takes longer to consume, it seems like you've eaten more, and you are less likely to have a craving later.

And now...the recipe!! Don't let the title fool you. There is no curry in it. In South Africa, curry means anything you eat with a gravy sauce. So, there's lamb curry, beef curry, potato curry...etc. But they all taste different!

Yellow Potato Curry

2 TB olive oil
2 TB butter
2 Medium onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Fresh thyme (leaves only, not stems)
1 tsp Turmeric
6 large potatoes (preferably soft-cooking)
Salt to taste
Water

1. Place oil and butter together in a large skillet, and melt the butter over medium high heat.
2. Add your chopped onions and garlic. Cook for three minutes and then add the thyme and turmeric. Cook another two minutes, stirring well.
3. Peel the potatoes and cut them into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Add them to the skillet.
4. Add 1/4 C of water, then cook on low heat (covered) until potatoes are soft. Check every ten minutes, and give it a stir.
5. When potatoes are soft, remove from heat and serve hot.

*My Indian friend Rena, who taught me to make this, eats it between slices of white bread like a sandwich. (But that's just a tad carb heavy.) We had it last night as a side to a root vegetable (pumpkin, squash, carrot, potato) soup. It is really delicious.

The turmeric gives it a bright yellow color, but doesn't add flavor. This is NOT a spicy dish by any means. My kids LOVE it. So much so that Cinderella ate it for breakfast this morning!

I hope you try it sometime this week, and let me know if you liked it. It's really easy, and makes a nice change from the normal potatoes Americans tend to eat. Yum!

Hope you all had a nice week, free from germs and illness, and that you stuck to your goals. Can't wait to see how everyone did! Head on over to Brenda's for more entertaining encouragement.

HAPPY WEEKEND!

5 Comments:

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Mmmm. That sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it. I love potatoes and curry too.

    Hope you feel better soon and all the side effects disappear. I will stand in agreement with you for that.

  • TAMI

    Okay - you must have been through some intense cravings! Well, maybe I have to, but I guess I wouldn't know because giving in to them is usually my #1. Ha! Actually, I'm doing REALLY well and even feel good about today's "Bake My Day" on Wintercreek (Come check it out!) because my portion control is giving me freedom for less. Your new sidebar photo is CUTE!!

  • Luanne

    I AM going to try that recipe....sounds wonderful! So sorry you aren't feeling well! But you are so right to let your body rest :) Good job! Thanks for the craving help, too, those are great suggestions!

  • Brenda

    What? I'm supposed to FIGHT the cravings??? No wonder!

    Frozen grapes. I have never tried that.

  • gin

    yum...love frozen grapes and cherries (pitted, of course!)...thanks for the craving tips...i think i would have to get all the way through it and then, well, i would think i had worked hard enough to eat whatever it was anyway! and funny (not the ha-ha funny) i never remember to take it to God. i have never prayed for a craving to go away or for strength...i just gave in. hmmm...something to chew on :)

    how's your monday?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin