I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Deep Thought Thursday (on Wednesday): It's All About Me, Right?

"He who has no sense of self-importance
cannot be offended or deflated.
W. Phillip Keller


I saw this quote for the first time a few weeks ago at Great Granny Grandma's devotion blog, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I have never thought of myself as having a problem with pride. I downplay my abilities, and don't try to call attention to myself because "I'm so great". But that's not really the end of pride. It's not just about being full of yourself related to things you can do and do well, or thinking you are awesome.

The Lord has brought this quote to mind time and time again lately when someone has made plans without asking me, or has had to change their plans without informing me, or when things just don't go my way, like the kids needing me every minute when I have things to get done. Why? Because during those times, all I can think about is me.

"Didn't they think how this would affect ME?"

"Why didn't they ask ME?"

"How can they do this? I have plans for this and that."

Yeah, like the world revolves around me. It's hard not to have that be the first thing in my mind when faced with a challenge. I am always out to satisfy myself first. I don't take into consideration the perspective of the other party, or what challenges said changes/plans mean for them.

I love the above quote by Keller because it is true. If I truly have died to self, and have the mind of Christ, then I will not be offended when things don't turn out my way. I will also not feel deflated if I am passed over, or if someone makes a remark that isn't necessarily encouraging.

God knows my weaknesses and tendencies to sin. He knows how much I struggle with putting me first. I need to work on thinking less of me and more of Him. That way, I will be neither offended or deflated.

What does this quote mean to you?

"Great peace have they which love thy law and nothing shall offend them." Psalm 119:165

4 Comments:

  • gin

    i think i need to post this quote somewhere in my house...say, the mirror? esp in light of my tuesday's torment post this week... the disappointments kept rolling, but it is time to get off the pity-pot and start living for Christ and deciding to let God lead my path, not myself. thanks for the reminder!

    btw..i am not the one who asked you about deafness...although i do have a step-sibling who hasn't been in contact for a LONG time who is deaf, and you reminded me about her... can't find her though :(

  • Joni

    Wow...I definitely need to be reminded of this everyday! I get so frustrated and exhausted when the kids always seem to need something from me and I think Daniel should pitch in and help me, which he does, but not always when and how I want him to. God is constantly reminding me that my life is not about me, but it's tough when even in the Christian world we're telling each other to take care of yourself or you deserve a break and all these things to turn our eyes and mind to ourselves. I like having friends who turn me to the Word of God instead. When I'm obeying God's law, I'll be at peace with Him and know that whatever happens is His will. I'll think of others ahead of myself. Hmmm....very good thought, Jules!

  • Joni

    One more thought...God is always reminding me that my life is not about me. I try hard to be the opposite of what the world tells us to be and even other Christians.

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    When I saw the quote at the top of your post I was going to comment that it is one of my favorites, and I have it written out on an index card strategically propped up on my bedside table. But then I read a little further down and saw that you found it on my blog. LOL

    Good post. I totally relate.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin