I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Monday, April 13, 2009

Rhino and Lion Park


We spent an overnight at the rhino and lion park on Thursday. It was really nice. We had a game drive and everything. It wasn't as good as the big parks like Kruger where they have elephants and giraffes and stuff, but it was good. The cabins were nice. Reminded me of a cabin you'd see out in the boonies in Tennessee or somewhere. Know what I mean? All knotty pine and stuff.

There were rhino and lions in the park. Are you surprised? There were also springbok, (SA's official animal and mascot for the rugby team) ugly warthogs, and various ugly bird life. The highlight of the day, for sure, was getting to play with the lion cubs (for the girls) and getting to pet a real live cheetah (for me and the Prince).

Cinderella had one cub jump up on her back and chew her ponytail. That was fine until it tried to pull it off her head, so I had to come over and loosen its jaws. Of course I didn't think about what I was doing at the time, I just did it.

Snow White had one use her for a chew toy. She said it didn't hurt, but it wasn't letting go of her arm, so I bopped it on the nose (again, not thinking this was a LION) and it whined and scampered away. She had some teeth marks, but nothing broke the skin. It shook her up a bit. Although she wouldn't admit it, I could tell.

I guess the moral of the story is you DON'T mess with my kids- even if you're a lion.

So, here are some photos of the day. We had a blast. Friday morning we brought the American visitors to the Flea Market in Hartebeespoort, and they all found some nice stuff for good prices. Of course, part of the fun (for others, not me) is the negotiating. I feel like these people are already so poor, I'm not going to barter for a better price.

Anyway, enough with the chatter. Here are some photos. For real this time. Here they come...

The Prince and the Cheetah

Rhinos and Warthogs

Ugly Bird. aka Malibu Stork
Endangered Wild Dogs

White Lions

Snow White's "Chew Toy" Experience

Cinderella Being Played With

Sweet Face

It was a great day, and the cook out in the evening was fun too. The next morning I opened the curtains to see the sunrise (the girls told me Daddy informed them they could see it out their window) and we saw this with it.

Ahhh...

Have a great Monday, getting back into the swing of things after the holiday!

6 Comments:

  • karly

    Yeah. Once you become a momma, you get supernatural powers and don't let anyone (person or animal) mess with your babies. Way to go, Juliemom!

    Fun pictures! Looks like you all had a nice time! :)

  • Aunt Bossy

    Wow! And you who used to be afraid of dogs, bopping lions on the head & prying their jaws open! Think I'll start calling you Samsonella or something...

    Sounds like an AWESOME time. I would so love to pet lion cubs someday...we'll just have to see, now won't we?

    Love & miss you lots!!

  • Brenda

    Samsonella? :)

    We need to have a fund-raiser for that poor bird.

  • JulieMom

    Ha!!! You guys are cracking me up. I agree...that bird Does need some reconstructive surgery...

  • Megan

    How cool is that to get to play with a lion! What great pictures! But wow, that bird is ugly. And did I mention I love the prince's t-shirt? :)

  • Eaglemyst

    That is just amazing! I wish the Bronx zoo could just come close, lol!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin