I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Email Stress


I love email. Really, I do. I love it that I can write something that is on my mind and heart, share it with a friend thousands of miles away, and have them write back to me, sometimes even in the same day.

For free.

The problem with email comes when I don't have time to respond. Sometimes I don't feel like writing back to people, but most times I'm just hopping on quick to check my messages, and not really taking time to respond to everyone.

This causes issues because then every time I check my email, those messages that I haven't responded to yet haunt me. They stare and beckon me with large, dark lashes to write even a quick note to let the person (who took the time to email me and obviously cares about me) know that I am ok, and answer their questions.

I hate that.

I wish that I didn't feel an all-consuming urge to respond with a letter-length reply to every email I receive. One liners, or short, rapid-fire catch-up sentences just seem cheap to me. Like the person on the receiving end deserves more.

More of my time, more details about what's going on with us, more glimpses into our everyday life, more...something...that I don't have time to give. (Hey, don't I have a blog for that? So why all the self-directed pressure?)

So- if you are a person who emails me, and I haven't responded in a timely manner, please know that I am waiting for the day when I can sit and write some long-winded, witty, pleasant letter that will update, entertain, and astound you.

And since it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon, let me apologize in advance if your email sits in my inbox, (and I've already ready it!) and collects dust for three or four weeks before I get the nerve to delete it without responding.

It's not that you aren't important to me; you are. And I wish I could just say "Hey, thanks for the email. You are awesome for thinking of me and I appreciate you." but I can't. It's like I think all the people who would receive that reply will compare notes and find out I say that to everybody.

And somehow that makes me nervous. But I guess that would be better than no reply at all. Right? Then again, what do I know? I convince myself people are expecting long replies, comparing notes about what I say to them, and wondering when I don't reply if I have suddenly turned against technology or something.

Does anyone else have these issues? Please say it isn't just me...

And if this post was weird for you today, well, you're in good company. It was weird for me too. Rambly, and I'm not sure what place it's coming from...

I just don't have time to figure that out today.

5 Comments:

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Yes, I certainly do relate to your post.

    My in-box has gotten so full, the contents overwhelm me every time I open it. And to add to my feelings of guilt over my procrastination, a friend called me long distance the other day to see if I was okay, because it had been so long since she'd even received so much as a forward from me.

    I'm going away over the weekend, but when I come back, my plan is to devote one hour a day reading, responding, and/or deleting, until I'm all caught up.

  • WendyMom

    Ah- this explains so much!

    I am glad you posted about this- I think those of us state side often wonder if you're doing OK- and are sending the personal word to make sure you know we care. This makes so much more sense to me now- and I admit I forgot how many personal emails you may be receiving- unlike me- who gets very few! And even then, I often do the same thing- let them sit thinking I'll have time later to reply.

    That's what happens when you're so popular girl! That's what you get for making us all love you so much! LOL! Hope you have a great day- and a great birthday tomorrow for Snow White- love ya- Wendy

  • WendyMom

    Uh, that would be Cinderella's Birthday- not Snow White! Sorry- I get confused some times- especially first thing in the morning....

  • Aunt Bossy

    Yeah--I feel the same way about blog commenting. If it's not a perfectly crafted, eloquently worded masterpiece, then I don't want to put it out there. The good news is that if you practice doing the short & sweet thing, it does get easier and the guilt subsides.

    And I PROMISE I'm not comparing notes with Wendymom. Really. No worries--don't even give it a second thought...(call me later, Wendy!)

    Love you!

  • Eaglemyst

    Sometimes all that needs to be said is, "Thanks for your words of encouragement!" Sometimes nothing needs to be said. Sometimes maybe a long-winded response is called for.

    If it were me, and I received a ton of email, for all of the well-wishers and such I would just write a standard thank you and keep it in Word. I would then be able to modify it or whatever before I emailed it. (Wow, that's bad. But, multi-tasking is done by making such sacrifices as this! lol) And I don't think anyone would compare notes. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin