I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Chicken and Dumplings

This recipe will, without a doubt, be one of your very favorites. It's SO GOOD! And it's not hard at all. It takes time, yes, but most of that is waiting for things to roast and/or boil. I also have some time-saving tips in case you get the urge to make this without a couple hours to work. This is adapted from Tyler Florence's recipe.

Ingredients:
(For the Chicken)
1 (3 lb) whole chicken
4 oz softened butter (or margarine)
salt and pepper
1 lemon (halved and juiced. Reserve juice and halves.)
1 onion
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp (each) Dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, sage, and parsley

1. Remove the neck and giblets from the chicken. Say 'Ew', then throw them away. Rinse the chicken with cold water, inside and out. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. (I never do that part, but you can if you want.) Generously salt and pepper the chicken.

2. Stir together a few teaspoons of lemon juice, the butter, and the herbs. Rub it over the skin of the chicken. Make a slit in the skin and rub it underneath the skin too. (YUM!)

3. Place the garlic, a lemon half and an onion half inside the chicken. (If your chicken is big enough to fit both halves inside, do it. Chickens here are SMALL.) Tyler says to tie the legs together, but who has twine just sitting around their kitchen? (So I don't do that either.)

4. Place in a roasting pan (on a rack if you have one- I don't.) and roast for an hour at 375 degrees. (I made two because I kept one for sandwiches.)**Now, here's a time-saving tip: If you live near a food market that sells pre-roasted chickens, then I recommend buying one. It will save you LOTS of time in the kitchen, and keep your oven from getting filthy. They aren't expensive (as such) so it's cost-effective as well.**
5. Once the chicken has cooled enough to handle, strip the poor bird of all its meat, and place it in a bowl to set aside.

(For the Stock)
Chicken Bones from roasting
3 Carrots
1 Onion
2 garlic cloves
2 chicken stock cubes
Water

1. Place the chicken bones (with the veggies and lemon from inside it) into a large pot and cover with water. Add the veggies and simmer for one hour, or until veggies are soft.

2. Strain the broth to remove the large chunks, reserving the veggies but not the lemon.
(I like my soup part to be more liquidy than glue pasty, so I add more water and stock cubes to the homemade stuff. You can do what you want.) Then chop the veggies up and put them back into the broth.

**Time saving tip: Just use regular chicken stock (canned or cubes), and pour some of the liquid (a half cup should be good, or whatever there is) from the bottom of the roasting pan into the pot. Warm it through, then move on to the next step.**

(Thickening the Sauce)
1/2 C finished broth
1/4 C cornstarch

1. Stir the cornstarch and broth together so the cornstarch is dissolved. Pour into the simmering stock and veggies. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Bring to a boil.

(Dumplings)
2 C flour
2 T butter or margarine
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 C milk

1. Mix together the salt, flour, baking powder. Cut in butter to make coarse crumbs. Add milk all at once, and mix until dough forms.

2. When your stock is boiling, add the dumplings one tablespoon at a time. Put the lid on the pot, and leave it for fifteen minutes. DO NOT PEEK! No, not even once to check. Leave it!

3. When the dumplings are done, let the pot sit off the heat for a few minutes while you set the table. Serve hot with a salad, or a veggie tray.

Enjoy!!

6 Comments:

  • Eaglemyst

    I'm going to the grocery store today and will DEFINATELY be picking up the things needed for this! My daughter just had dental surgery and can only eat soft stuff. This looks so good, I can't wait to try it. I'll post a picture of mine, too!

  • Laura Lou

    One of my very fave dishes and, of all things I could serve, my kids' least. No fair.

  • Mr. Young

    Alright...about you throwin out the gibblets... when I worked at the diner, we would take out the turkeys from the oven, and finish cookin the gibblets in the deep fryer, sauce em' and enjoy.

  • JulieMom

    Eaglemyst- Did it turn out well?? I hope so!

    Laura Lou- So sorry. When would you like to come for dinner?

    Mr. Young- Ok, giblets are just wrong. Very, very wrong. Oh, and I am sending a present to you with friends that are visiting. It's for BIBLE STUDY. You should be scared. :0)

  • Eaglemyst

    I forgot to pick up chicken at the store. However, Thursday is grocery shopping day and I WILL make this recipe on Saturday. I'll post it on my blog. In fact I'll come back here and leave a comment so you all can see how it turned out!

    P.S. I sent you an email.

  • Terry @ Breathing Grace

    Looks delicious. I will probably try it week after next, when I shop again. If it's half as good as your wheat bread, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

    Did I ever come back and tell you about the wheat read?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin