I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Monday, March 23, 2009

Counting Down the Days...

We have a team of people from the U.S. coming (all will arrive by April 7th) to help us out with our first ever Deaf camp. Not only the first for the Prince and I since being on the mission field, but a first for EVERYONE here in SA. So it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm sure it will be a great time, though there are bound to be challenges that occur. Because, if I haven't mentioned it before, the sign language here is NOT the same as in the U.S.

Alright, I'll give you some examples.
This is the number nine in ASL. It means 'Monday' in SA sign. Just a little different, eh?

All the signs in ASL for the numbers 6-9 are days of the week in SA sign.

Oh, and the letter 'T' the way we sign it in the U.S. is a SWEAR WORD here. Not good.

So, there are bound to be some communication gaps and errors, but it's all part of the fun of learning a new language in such a short amount of time. We're really looking forward to seeing everyone who's coming. It'll be great to spend time with Americans, especially people we know!

One of the men in the group will be staying with us for three weeks. We're excited to meet him. He is Deaf, and is excellent at drama. He should fit right in around here. Seriously, he should. I've been doing a lot of planning, and if you know me well, you are not at all surprised. I thought I would run the menu by you. Then you can tell me what I need to remove, change and whatnot. Alright?

First, I am planning to have available muffins, cookies, biscotti, (all homemade of course!) any time he wants them, because jet lag wreaks havoc with your appetite and time frame. So those things will be around to grab whenever. And since I don't own a cookie jar (and never have) I went out today and got what I think is an excellent alternative.
These are perfect because we can see what is inside, they are airtight, and they are just nice! Plus, they match the little ones behind them that are always on the counter full of pasta and rice. They are the mega size, if you will. Cookies and biscotti will go in these. Muffins will go on a tray covered in foil.
Muffins:
Banana
Lemon Poppyseed
Apple Cinnamon

Cookies:
Chocolate Chip
Peanut Butter
Amish Sugar Cookies
Cappuccino Biscotti

So, foodwise, I have no idea if he has allergies, so this is a tentative menu. And these are not in the order of when we're having them, it's just a list. Let me know your thoughts.

Nan Pelfrey's Chicken and Dumplings (Have I really NOT done a post on this yet?!?)
Lentil Soup, Salad, Bread
SpanikopitaPhyllo Triangles, Greek Chicken
Spaghetti and Homemade Meatballs, Salad, Bread
Carnivore Restaurant
Crock Pot Shredded Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Salad
Breakfast for Dinner including Gravy, Biscuits, Eggs, Potatoes
Butternut-Carrot Soup, Salad, Bread
Pizza
Braai (When we stay overnight at the Rhino and Lion Park-which they gave us 50% off all the rooms. Wow! What a blessing!) Mac salad, cowboy beans
Birthday Dinner for Cinderella- Her Choice

I know that doesn't seem like enough meals for three weeks, because it isn't. Sometimes we're eating at the church with other people, and one whole week our guest and the Prince will be gone at camp. Me and the girls will be holding down the fort here and feeding our friends' dogs.

Now- these dinners will not ALL have desserts, but some of them will. I am planning to make:
A welcome cake that is cool and fun. I just don't know what yet. Any suggestions?
Blueberry Sour Cream Dessert
Creamy Peach (and/or strawberry) Squares
An awesome birthday cake for Cinderella (Blue frosting with gold star accents; her choice)

And I do promise that all the baked goods are not only for the people in this house. We will be sharing with the others who are coming from the States. (But we're keeping a bunch too, don't worry!)

So, you wanna come now too, since you know the menu? If we had more space I would welcome you with open arms. But we are limited to these (about) 900 square feet, so it'll have to be another time. Sorry.

But I am ready and willing to accept menu ideas, criticisms, and whatnot. I am also ready to give out recipes for anything you see here that isn't already in my Foodie Friday Archives. The linkable ones should be linked to. Oh- anyone know how much of the baked stuff can go in the freezer? I like to bake ahead. Thanks and enjoy your Monday!

4 Comments:

  • karly

    Man! I would be the one to curse in sign language, too! That's a lot to keep track of!

    And, you are having biscuits and gravy for dinner??? Do you KNOW how long I have been CRAVING this? For forever. Or at least as long as I have been pregnant. :)

    And. You wouldn't turn me away if I just showed up. I just know you wouldn't. You are much too kind for that. :)

    Well. This has been a great comment, huh? No advice or other ideas or whatever else you asked for. Mostly because I think your menu is FABULOUS and your guest will love it! Oh, and I can't wait to see pictures of Cinderella's birthday cake! :)

    Have fun preparing!

  • Jennifer

    Oh I remember the inappropriate ASL letter T from my first trip to SA 6 years ago. We were helping with a VBS and teaching the alphabet in sign language to them. K really scared them, M, and N got nervous giggles, same with P, and then we got to T and there was this giant gasp! Prison gangs are such a terrible problem in SA and have brought so many "normal" things to become known as curses/threats/etc.

  • Brenda

    I hope they fit into the airplane seats when they start to head home!!!!

  • impromptu-mom

    Jules,

    Muffins will freeze great if you wrap them. Same with any quick bread type loaves. Almost all cookies will freeze well after they are baked, and you can freeze many of them in dough form. I don't know about biscotti, but the moisture of thawing might cause a problem.

    HTH

Blog Widget by LinkWithin