I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A Ministry Update

I know I don't talk much about what we're doing on the mission field on the the blog, but we are busy doing stuff, I promise! And while the ministry blog has been sadly neglected due to time constraints it will be updated soon. So for those of you who know what we're about here in SA (and for those of you who don't!) here's an update that's been a long time in coming. (Unless you get our prayer letters which are sent out regularly. Don't want you thinking we're an island here. We are pretty good communicators, I think.)

1. Deaf Church- The Deaf church we started here in May has grown quite a bit. The past few weeks we've had almost forty people in church. What huge blessing! God has been working in lives, people have gotten saved, and it's been a whirlwind of work, blessings, and praises. Last week we started teaching the residence kids at the school on Sunday morning before our regular services. It's sad to see some of the filthy things the kids talk about. But I really believe they have no idea it's wrong. This past Sunday one of the boys from the school got saved! One of our Deaf members was instrumental in leading him to Christ. Would you pray for the kids as we minister to them? The Prince also is with them on Thursday afternoon teaching them Bible lessons. Please pray that God would plant seeds. We don't always see the fruit, but trust it will be harvested eventually.

Also on this front, I have started teaching a women's class in addition to the kids' class on Sunday mornings. The schedule right now is: Sunday School (when I'm with the kids), Big Church (the kids stay with me then too), and then my ladies' class while the men fellowship and watch the kids. It makes for a long day when you factor we start the Deaf kids' class BEFORE church at 9AM. Driving 40-45 min one way means we leave the house early. Church finishes about 1:30PM, so it's a LONG DAY. But the classes have all been great. Praise God!

2. Bible College- The Prince's teaching has been going well. He will finish up the book of Galatians this week and then have some time off. He is encouraged by the improvement he's already seen in the students this time around. One of the men who attended last year is ministering to his father who is ill and unsaved, and therefore hasn't been able to come for classes. Would you pray for them? It's not an easy position to be in. The Prince will have two weeks off while Bro. Chris teaches, so please pray for him to be able to prepare for the next round.

Also, another of the men (his real name is Prince- I'm not kidding!) who was attending Bible College has decided he really needs to work instead of coming to the college. He is the man MY Prince was training in ministry. This is disappointing in that he is now doing everything himself, but it was good to find out Prince isn't called to ministry before he stayed another year in the college. He will still attend our church and help out, but will no longer preach. Please pray for him to find a good job.

3. Wednesdays and Fridays- I am teaching a class to hearing kids on Wednesdays in Bro. Chris' church. I enjoy it, but sometimes I have trouble putting together the lessons while homeschooling and preparing for the other classes I teach every week. The boys (mostly it's boys) in my class are growing up and some of them are teenagers now. Would you pray for me that God would give me lessons that speak to their hearts and help prepare them for leaving home someday? I really feel they need the influence of a Christian man, but the Deaf can't teach them. So, I am. I know God can use me, and I pray He will.

Fridays are Bible Club for the hearing kids in the neighborhood around Bro. Chris' church. It's mostly the same kids who come on Wed nights, with a few more added in. I am in charge of the music, (I sing and 'play' my guitar) and I use Power Point slides so the kids can follow along with the words. I'd like to start adding new songs, which means making new slides, which takes time that sometimes I don't have. Would you please pray God would help me get everything done that I need to do?

4. Update on Michael- You would think that since the trial is over the trials (pun intended) would be over too. Not so. Michael was making plans to come home, his brother purchased his ticket, and then he found out the police station LOST HIS PASSPORT. I am not kidding. Two days before he was to fly home to Ohio, he finds this out. Oh the annoyance! And stress! Well, praise the Lord he was able to get an emergency passport so he could indeed keep his flight. He is now safely in Ohio and nothing else stressful has happened that I am aware of. Please keep him in your prayers these next to months that the Lord would speak to him and lead him and refresh him so he is ready to minister when he gets back.

I so appreciate all of you who uphold our ministry in prayer. What a blessing you are! Today I am cooking for the college students after church, so it will be a busy day! Please keep me in your prayers as I try to balance all the spinning plates in my life right now. Have a wonderful Wednesday and see you back tomorrow. (If I have the time.) :0)

4 Comments:

  • Victoria

    Oh my goodness!!! How in the WORLD do you find the time to blog, homeschool, cook those delicious meals, house every American to come through Africa, & create magnificent cake masterpieces?!! I have a whole new level of respect for you and you can be sure I'll be A LOT more faithful in my prayers for you and your family.

  • JulieMom

    Aw, thanks! It would be impressive if I said I woke up at 3:30 every morning, but that is not the case. The secret is that I am a fast worker. Seriously. It's the only way to do it all! :0)

  • Victoria

    Just to let you know - I went to sleep praying for you last night!

  • Erin

    This is where it's at!!!!!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin