I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Deep Thought Thursday: How Real Are We?

I am a big fan of Casting Crowns. Their music really speaks to me, and often the first time I listen to a new CD I cry at many of the songs. I am a music person, and it touches me in ways no other thing can. God uses it to speak to my heart, and this song especially impacted me.



Sometimes I think we as Christians are trying so hard to impress one another that we miss opportunities to minister. I know people who have come out of horrible experiences in their past, and instead of using those times in their lives to glorify God for the changes He's made, or minister to others who may be going through the same thing, they hide it away, like it never happened.

For me, many times I don't want people to know I'm struggling. Especially my husband. Why is that? He is to be my partner and the person I trust most in my life. However, I am human and like to keep my faults and struggles to myself. That way I can keep the outside looking good and no one will think there's a problem inside.

But was the church supposed to be made up of Super-people? How are we to reach out with the love of Christ if we're untouchable?

Let me be the first to admit that I am a sinner. I have a hard time being faithful to commitments I make because sometimes I just don't feel like doing them. I struggle with my Bible reading at times, and some days ignore it altogether. I don't always pray when I tell people I will. I yell at my kids some days.

And that's just scratching the surface.

But this is not a post to confess my sin to all of you, just to let you know that I've been there, I struggle, and I am like you. I am forgiven through the blood of Christ, and it is my only hope, for in my flesh dwelleth no good thing.

Just thought you might need to know today that you're not alone.

8 Comments:

  • Mary

    That really touched me - thank you for sharing.

  • Brenda

    Good encouragement Julie. I disagree with one thing: you are not a sinner. You were-but you have been made new! Yes, we mess up. I know what you were saying.

  • aswewalk

    Amen. Amen. And Amen.

  • Laura Lee

    Another lovely side of Julie: vulnerable. Amen.

  • Megan

    well said. by the way, we have a new blog if you're bored and want to check it out. http://2boys3pets.blogspot.com

  • Terry @ Breathing Grace

    Thank you Julie. I think we hide the unlovely parts of ourselves because everyone else is doing hiding too. They look perfect, we feel intimidated by their perfection, and the cycle continues. We forget a basic fundamental truth:

    Humanity is a shared experience. If I struggle with something, it's a virtual certainty that someone near and dear to me struggles with it, too.

    I yell at my kids on occasion too ;-)

  • WendyMom

    So true- you know we've discussed this before. I hope you are well- love the new look of the blog!! Let's try and catch up soon.

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Thanks for sharing that, Julie. It is a good reminder. And today is Feb 14th, Valentine's Day, and I think I saw in one of your posts it's also your real birthday. So Happy Birthday to You. May you be richly blessed today, on your trip, and always.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin