I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Sunday, January 18, 2009

That Takes The Cake!

I have had cake on the brain the past few days. What with hosting the Pestkes and having Savannah's birthday here, and my own Sleeping Beauty's on Tuesday, (when she will be turning EIGHT thankyouverymuch- by the way, how did that happen?!? EIGHT!) I am either baking cakes, frosting them, or doodling sketches for the next one.

SO...

Today I thought it might be fun to share with you some amazing (and some scary!) cakes that I have found on the web, and also expose you to a hilarious blog all about messed up professional cakes. So I'll do that first since I just mentioned it.

The blog is called Cake Wrecks. The motto is "Where professional cakes go horribly, hilariously wrong". Great motto. Jen is the blogger and her commentary about the pics pf cakes people send in is absolutely hilarious. I don't read her every day, but pop in now and then when I think of it. Check it out if you need a laugh. You'll definitely get one.

And now, onto the cakes!

1. The Freaky Bride Cake
This is a wedding cake designed to look like the bride. Um, yeah. Can we say narcissistic? Her ego is obviously as big as, well, this cake. The concept is freaky enough, so I won't be mentioning the horror film-type lighting on the cake (can't you just see an arm slowly rising with a bloody knife in it's grip?), or the scary vomit-inspired design on the front of the bride's dress. *shudders*

I'm moving on, but for those of you who want to read all about it, go here.

2. Freaky Baby Cake
I'm not saying it doesn't take talent to make a replica of a baby in cake, I'm just sayin' I think it's wrong to want to eat one. Who was the first to order this anyway? And who's gonna say "I want a piece of the face!" Not me. Especially since this baby looks a little troll-ish. Maybe it's not really a baby cake after all, but a small, grumpy troll-man cake. In that case, why is he wearing a bonnet? And don't trolls have HUGE feet? Huh.

3. Ew. Kitty Litter Cake
Need I say more? Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. EW! But there is a cake under there. Somewhere.

4. Pretty Scrollwork Cake
I love this cake. I think it is so elegant and pretty! And I am in awe of the amount of time it must have taken to do all the scrollwork. I love that on a cake. This is the first in the 'good cakes' category in case you couldn't tell.

5. Cool Topsy-Turvy Cake
Whimsical Topsy Turvy Cake Bridal Shower
I doubt I will EVER be able to make a cake like this, but WOW!! I love everything about it. The colors are bright and sweet, and the fondant is smooth and beautiful! It's very girly which I also love. Sweet!

6. The 'I Swear It's Not Styrofoam' LOTR Cake
There are really no words to describe the detail and time put into this cake. Wowza. It's a replication of Minas Tirith. If you haven't seen the Lord of the Rings movies, and you think I'm a heathen because I have and I like them, a lot, just appreciate the artistry here, ok? Ignore the movie references. Pretty amazing.

I hope this has given you come cakey inspiration, and not indigestion. Tomorrow I will share pictures of Sleeping Beauty's birthday cake, providing it doesn't turn out gross and disturbingly ugly. And then I won't mention cake again for a LONG time. Ok? Ok. Pinky swear and everything.

Happy Monday to you all!!

*If you're in the States and reading this on Sunday night, forget I just said that.*

2 Comments:

  • Mary

    Tell me, honestly - who in their right mind wouldn't be pleased as punch to be presented with a Kitty Litter cake - who?

    Sold to the highest bidder!

    Have you ever seen the movie 'Steel Magnolias'? There is a wedding cake in that movie - to die for.

  • Laura Lee

    ...and who in the world would cut into that baby troll's head??!! A sicko, that's who...sicko like me who thinks marble cake would really work for this one...or red velvet... ;-)

    That kitty-litter cake is just repulsive. You'd have to love cats in a very unhealthy way to want to dig into that one.

    I too love the fondant covered cake! I've seen similar cakes that require less skill--go for it!

    Cannot wait to see your pics of your baby's birthday! My eldest girl turns eleven on Wednesday!

    BTW, I love LOTR (using secret code so no one but you and I know)!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin