I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Just A Few Thoughts

“Discernment is not simply a matter of telling the difference between what is right and wrong; rather it is the difference between right and almost right.” -Charles Spurgeon


My sister recently asked me if I had read the book "The Shack". I have not read it and do not intend to. She asked me because she wanted my opinion of it. I can tell you right now that Christians reading this book need to proceed with caution, and their discernment radar at full power.

My sister says that in the Foreword and the "After Words" of the book, the author claims the story is truth. Absolute fact. "Mack" (who is supposedly a friend of the author, and is also the main character) claims the story really happened, and that he had Young (the author) ghost write the book for him.

Really? This is what the author now says on his blog. Please check it out because otherwise the rest of this post will not make sense.

Is that confusing? You bet. How can the conversations be true if this is a work of fiction? Why leave those parts in the book if it could potentially cause issues? Why not avoid all pretense of truth, and just publish it as fiction, plain and simple?

Because the majority of people who read this book will not care if it's true or not. This book will touch some part of their emotions and they will praise it and pass it on to all their friends, and gain doctrines from it without ever consulting a Bible.

Call me crazy and uppity, judgmental and ultra-conservative, but that's my opinion.

And apparently a lot of conservative Christians have issues with the book. This is one well-written review. I urge you to check it out if you have not read the book. Even if you have, it could bring things to light you had not thought of before.

Notice I didn't say I agree with everything on this website. I have only read this one review. Please don't write me about your issues with other content. Thank you in advance for not being obnoxious.


So, just wanted to challenge your thinking today. Remember- things that seem almost-right are much more dangerous than things that are blatantly wrong.

Care to share your thoughts?

4 Comments:

  • Mary

    I am ploughing through the review. The thing that struck me was the poor penmanship of 'The Shack's' author. I think I can remember Oprah raving on about this book - that's got to tell you something! I agree that a little bit of truth melded with a whole lot of heresy is so dangerous. I am thinking of the T.V show 'Ghost Whisperer', a very clever attempt at having viewers believe that you can mix and match your doctrines. Well. I'll continue reading the review. I was wondering why you would read the reviews and yet be adamant that you would not read the book - the harm is not in the words but in the acceptance of those words - and you already believe that it is heresy? Why does your sister want you to read it? Does she think it is true or does she want to warn others about its falsities? Just curious.I am not sure you can really open a debate or give a warning about something without knowing its full content. I have to be honest I am a little more curious about the book now. And everything I have said in this comment is just curious questions - not accusational.

  • Victoria

    I've heard quite a lot about this book in the past few months. Heard it was "life changing" "challenging" etc. Haven't heard a whole lot of what it's actually about. I think I may read it. If it proves too graphic, it goes back on the library shelf. I just like to read some popular books to see the holes in it for myself. No, I don't do that with the Harry Potter series, etc., but I always am a bit hesitant about books that are extremely popular with the Christian community. Some I've read and seen that they are great. Others - it just makes me sad to see Satan having such an easy time of deceiving people.
    Thanks for the links. Interesting for sure. Thanks for being as critical as I am - makes me not feel so weird:)

  • Jimmy

    This comment has been removed by the author.

  • JulieMom

    Sorry- I posted my first comment under the Prince's ID. Oops!

    Mary- I am not trying to start a debate of any kind. I am tired of debates. :0) I just wondered if anyone who HAD read the book wanted to share their opinions. I won't read the book because I know myself. I must be very careful (more so than other perhaps) about what I let into my mind. I don't intentionally cause myself to struggle. And I know you didn't mean to be accusatory. No harm done. :0)

    Victoria- You're welcome. I think of the 'Purpose Driven Life' days. Read that. Confused me. Wish I hadn't. Now I'm more discerning. :0)

    My problem is that this guy says it's a true story in the book (i.e. God ACTUALLY said these things to this 'Mack' guy, and actually appeared this way) and now he's retracting it- saying it's fiction.

    The danger lies in his telling people these are God's Words, (which contradict the Holy scriptures) and then admitting he made it up. Most people won't research the truth. And that bothers me.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin