I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Fitness Weekend: My Spiritual Fitness

Hi Fitness Friday gals! Love this week's topic, even if it is one that has made me stop and really think about how I'm doing in that department. But first, I have some announcements.

1. I will be starting with my gym buddy on Monday!! Whoo-hoo!
2. I went to the gym twice this week- go me! (Is that sad I'm excited about twice?)
3. I have registered another 4.5 pound weight loss. YES!! (I think this means I'm watching what I eat better than I anticipated.)
4. My friend who goes to the gym and runs like a mad woman told me she noticed I looked thinner when I was walking in. YEAH!!
5. I got right back into my routine, and even added a new free weights (mini) program for my biceps.

So, all of that said to update you on my progress. No picture today because I left my camera (in my purse, mind you) at the house of friends who are moving back to Canada today. So, needless to say I will be going to their house soon after this post to fetch those things. (Fetch is a SA word that means to go get. I know you knew that, but here they use it often, for people, not dogs.)

Now to the topic at hand. My spiritual fitness. Of course I know, in theory, that this is a journey I am making with God. The Holy Spirit indwells me, and partakes of all my good and bad choices. However, many times I am sucked into this whole will-power idea, and forget that it's really Spirit-power I need.

We hear all the time that we have to make responsible choices, and we need to get the will-power to make it to the gym and we need to get our system back on track. But who made me? If I involve the Creator of my body, aren't I guaranteed to be infinitely more successful? Can't He reveal to me what I do and do not need to run this temple He designed?

His strength is (I already used this word, but it's a good one) infinitely more abundant than my own. I mean, would I really be in this situation (needing to work out and watch what I eat to lose weight) if I had been leaning on the everlasting arms before? I think not.

I have started a new practice on the treadmill which has helped a lot. I actually close my eyes while I'm walking (I know, I'll be careful) and PRAY. I pray for my family, for God to give me that strength to finish my whole workout and not skimp, and for any other needs that pop into my mind. And I have found that the time flies when I do this. So, I will keep doing it. Because not only does it make the drudgery of walking endlessly without getting anywhere go faster, it also helps prepare my heart and mind for the day.

How great is that?

And as I've been contemplating this topic, a verse instantly popped into my mind:

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." I Corinthians 10:31

This verse seems simple, but is really very challenging. For instance, does it glorify God when:

1. I overeat and therefore sin?
2. I don't fulfill the commitment I made to myself (and therefore to God) to stay fit?
3. I neglect to ask God to help me make good choices during the course of any given day?
4. I forget to pray for my sisters who struggle as much as I do?
5. I often try and do things in my own strength and fail?

I'm thinking there's a pattern here. More of God in me, more aware of the power He can have in my life as I am reminded (yet again) that there is nothing better accomplished than when He is at the reins. So, I'm stepping out of the driver's seat, handing the reins over to God, and praying I won't try to wrestle them back from Him.

Although He doesn't put up much of a fight. He lets me take them away, realize how weak and foolish I am without Him, then gently holds out His hands for me to place them back in His control.

And I will get better at this. It's a whole life issue, not just weight-loss. Every aspect.

EVERY. ASPECT.

Death to excuses and Life with the Word!!

Happy weekend.

6 Comments:

  • Terry @ Breathing Grace

    Great post, Julie. And what wonderful progress you're making.

    You know, sometimes when I hear your words in my head, about all kinds of stuff: "Death to Excuses!"

    So thanks for that.

  • Brenda

    Oh, very good post. This helped me a lot. I'll be re-reading it.

  • TAMI

    What an encouraging post this is to read! Thanks for keeping up the successes ... I need to be reminded over and over again that they ARE possible!

  • Luanne

    This was a great post!! I am so happy for you and your success. 4 1/2 pounds is awesome!! You have some great thoughts here. keep up your good work. You are well on your way :)

  • Johanna

    I'm new to the Fitness Friday group, and I look forward to getting to know you through this process. I loved your post - you had many great reminders of how we are to let go of the control and let God be in control.

  • Aunt Bossy

    Well done, sister. You've said what's in my head better than I could have--how's that for a mind-meld across the miles? Amen & amen.

    Love you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin