I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, October 17, 2008

Fitness/Foodie Friday: Popcorn and Smoothies

Edited to add: Oops! Thanks Mary! My weight loss was 4.4 pounds this week!!


Well, there it is. The picture of the week, and me in my attractive old softball t-shirt ready to go to the gym. Woot! Nice hair, huh? I just woke up, ok? And since I'm just going to the gym to work out and get stinky and sweaty, does it matter what I look like? I thought not.

I do have a few happy announcements before moving onto the snacking thingy. I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost another 2 kilos! (2.2 pounds) Which brings the total to a little over four kilos (almost nine pounds). Also, I tried on a pair of my jeans I haven't worn in a sweet forever because they were a bit snug, and they fit WITHOUT OVERHANG!! Yay!!

I have also been wearing hubby's shorts to the gym. Oh yeah!

So, things are progressing. I am happy with the progression and will keep it up. I'm learning that now I am cranky without my gym time. Wow. What a difference! Before I was loath to go, but now I go five days a week! Yikes! I'm a work out machine! (Not really, but you get the idea.)

Onto the snacks!

Generally snacking has been frowned upon in the house for many moons. I find that if my kids have snacks, they don't eat their meals. SO we've never been much for snacking. It's not to say we didn't have things to eat as snacks (like baked cracker mini bags, or mini cheetos or something) but as a rule, those were saved for lunches.

We do keep a TON of fruit in this house. And I mean a TON. If there's one good thing about living in Africa, it's that you can get two pineapples (many times) for a little over a dollar! That's a great price! So we eat a lot of fruit. And they have lots of good quality fruit (watermelon, apples, strawberries...grapes are pricey so we don't have those often). The kids can grab an apple, but not within an hour of any meal time.

Today I am going to give you our new favorite snack here lately: Popcorn and Smoothies!!


Popcorn!!
We like to pop our own popcorn on the stove top because frankly, the microwave kind here is TOTALLY EXPENSIVE. Like 50 cents per bag! And most of the kernels don't pop. With the stove top kind, we get almost all of them to pop, and it's way cheap. Like a dollar for the whole bag. And if you try to pop the whole bag at once, you will be eating popcorn on your eightieth birthday. It makes A LOT, ok?

Ingredients:
1 Bag (non microwave) popcorn
vegetable oil
salt (if desired)

Instructions:
1. Place a fairly large pan on a large burner on your stove. Turn the heat up to medium high. Pour in (slowly) enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan by 1/4 inch.
2. Pour in (slowly) enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the pan in a single layer. You don't want a pile of kernels and not enough oil, and any more than won't pop anyway. (At least that's been my experience.)
3. Place a lid on the pot and let it cook until you hear the first kernel pop. After that, gently shake the pot back and forth over the burner to keep the popcorn moving.
4. Once it's popped for a while, and you think it's near the end, stop with the shaking, and turn the heat off. Let the pot sit until it's quiet.
5. Pour into a large bowl and salt, if desired. (We use a popcorn flavoring shaky thing. A little.)


Smoothies!!
Ingredients: (For five people to have a medium size smoothie)
A small handful of strawberries, hulled
2 bananas, peeled (duh!)
1 1/4 Cup Vanilla yogurt
Splash of milk
ICE ICE ICE!! (About 2 Cups, but adjust to your preference)

Instructions:
1. Place all ingredients in the blender.
2. Blend until smooth and ice is crushed
3. Pour into glasses and enjoy with your popcorn!

Happy weekend everyone!

15 Comments:

  • Mary

    I hope you are not depriving yourself of any weight loss. My calculations suggest that 2 kilos is actually 4 pounds and 4 ounces (1 kg = 2.2 pound). Nice going.

    Nothing wrong with being a fitness junkie ( says I who congrats herself for walking to the local shop').

    Have a great weekend

    Cheers

  • Terry, Ornament of His Grace

    Oh, how I wish fruit were less expensive here in the states! We eat lots of fruit as well. It makes a great healthy snack.

    Congratulations on your progress Julie. And I'm right there with you. I get a little testy too without my exercise. I guess it's true that it releases endorphins!

  • Brenda

    Your snacks sound good! I have never actually popped popcorn on the stove--might have to try that.

    And is Mary right? Kilos mean nothing to me.

  • Luanne

    Excellent job!! I am working on getting exercise back into my routine. I'll get back up to 5 days a week soon!

    Another good way to make smoothies without the added calories of yougurt is to freeze your bananas and blend those instead of using ice. makes super smooth smoothies. Just a dd a little juice to get the blender going! If you want the real recipe, just ask, I give it to you!

    Congratulations on your success!

  • karly

    Okay, can I just say I love seeing and look forward to seeing your face every week? I am so happy for your loss!

    And, that smoothie? I will have to try that one.

    And, I love my exercise, too. I didn't get it today and I am a bit out of sorts.

    Have a great week, Julie!!

  • TAMI

    This is my first week with Fitness Friday, so I haven't been able to watch your progress, but there's a REAL difference between your Julie picture on the sidebar and your Julie picture in this post! Congratulations on the goodness taking place within you!

  • JulieMom

    Mary!! Thanks for fixing my math!! Duh! Wow...four pounds in a week. Yay!! I'm MORE excited now!!

    Brenda- Mary's right. :0)

    Luanne- Thanks for the tip! I'll try it!

    Karly- Weight loss is about the only time you'd tell someone you're happy for their loss! LOL

    Tami- Thanks! The pic on the sidebar was Aunt Bossy's wedding a few years ago. Maybe I should update it??? :0)

  • JulieMom

    Terry- I didn't mean to leave you out! Thanks for the comments! Who would've thought exercising can affect the mood so? Def not me!

  • Tracey, In Word Adorning

    Julie, We love stove top popcorn and smoothies too. My 8 yo twins saw a friend melt BUTTER and pour it over and now they are hooked. . .ARGH!!!

    Keep up the good work, I'm inspired!!!!! Thanks

  • Carrie Thompson

    It sounds like you are doing amazing! Four lbs in a week! That is so encouraging!

    wow about the fruit, I wish it was that inexpensive here too!!!

  • Detroit

    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing too because the encouragement truly helps! I have to choose success this week!

  • Brenda

    No! Don't change your sidebar pic b/c I always compare it to your FF pictures!

  • Eaglemyst

    You look great! I look at that picture and the one of you and your family on your newsletter and it's hard to believe the difference. You definately are doing it!

  • Mi

    Congrats on the the loss & thanks for the encouragement
    Mi

  • Aunt Bossy

    Ok, the overhang comment had me laughing so hard--'cause I totally get it! It's how I felt when I looked down & discovered I had ankles again...

    Love you and SO PROUD OF YOU! Will totally send you a zillion pictures of the new pad to your e-mail account...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin