Edited to add: Oops! Thanks Mary! My weight loss was 4.4 pounds this week!!
Well, there it is. The picture of the week, and me in my attractive old softball t-shirt ready to go to the gym. Woot! Nice hair, huh? I just woke up, ok? And since I'm just going to the gym to work out and get stinky and sweaty, does it matter what I look like? I thought not.
I do have a few happy announcements before moving onto the snacking thingy. I weighed myself yesterday and I have lost another 2 kilos! (2.2 pounds) Which brings the total to a little over four kilos (almost nine pounds). Also, I tried on a pair of my jeans I haven't worn in a sweet forever because they were a bit snug, and they fit WITHOUT OVERHANG!! Yay!!
I have also been wearing hubby's shorts to the gym. Oh yeah!
So, things are progressing. I am happy with the progression and will keep it up. I'm learning that now I am cranky without my gym time. Wow. What a difference! Before I was loath to go, but now I go five days a week! Yikes! I'm a work out machine! (Not really, but you get the idea.)
Onto the snacks!
Generally snacking has been frowned upon in the house for many moons. I find that if my kids have snacks, they don't eat their meals. SO we've never been much for snacking. It's not to say we didn't have things to eat as snacks (like baked cracker mini bags, or mini cheetos or something) but as a rule, those were saved for lunches.
We do keep a TON of fruit in this house. And I mean a TON. If there's one good thing about living in Africa, it's that you can get two pineapples (many times) for a little over a dollar! That's a great price! So we eat a lot of fruit. And they have lots of good quality fruit (watermelon, apples, strawberries...grapes are pricey so we don't have those often). The kids can grab an apple, but not within an hour of any meal time.
Today I am going to give you our new favorite snack here lately: Popcorn and Smoothies!!
1 Bag (non microwave) popcorn
salt (if desired)
1. Place a fairly large pan on a large burner on your stove. Turn the heat up to medium high. Pour in (slowly) enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan by 1/4 inch.
2. Pour in (slowly) enough popcorn to cover the bottom of the pan in a single layer. You don't want a pile of kernels and not enough oil, and any more than won't pop anyway. (At least that's been my experience.)
3. Place a lid on the pot and let it cook until you hear the first kernel pop. After that, gently shake the pot back and forth over the burner to keep the popcorn moving.
4. Once it's popped for a while, and you think it's near the end, stop with the shaking, and turn the heat off. Let the pot sit until it's quiet.
5. Pour into a large bowl and salt, if desired. (We use a popcorn flavoring shaky thing. A little.)
A small handful of strawberries, hulled
2 bananas, peeled (duh!)
1 1/4 Cup Vanilla yogurt
Splash of milk
ICE ICE ICE!! (About 2 Cups, but adjust to your preference)
1. Place all ingredients in the blender.
2. Blend until smooth and ice is crushed
3. Pour into glasses and enjoy with your popcorn!
Happy weekend everyone!