I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, October 31, 2008

Fitness/Foodie Friday: Last Night's Dinner


This week we are supposed to share our "weight timelines"; things that, through our lives, have affected our weight (good and bad) and what our goals are.

I suppose I would have to start by saying that as a child and teen I was never overweight. I have a cousin who is convinced I was a chubby kid, (I think because her daughter has been chubby? And she's hoping she'll grow out of it??) but I wasn't. See? (That's me on the right in both pics.)


Bad resolution- sorry!

I just maybe looked chubby (to some people?) because my sister was (and still is after three kids!) stick thin. I was a normal weight, just didn't look so thin when standing next to my sister. Not the easiest thing to handle growing up. It wasn't her fault, or mine. It was just our genes. But other people seemed to think it was a problem.

I had an uncle that would tell me I was fat, or that I was getting fat. I think when it started I was around 9 or 10. Not really sure. I remember how much that hurt me as a young girl, and I think it contributed a lot to the bad body image I developed. He was essentially telling me that thin meant looking like my sister, which would have been impossible. Because I inherited "The Pelfrey Curse". (Which means I excelled at developing breast tissue. Ahem.) So I adopted the view that I would never be a thin person, because I could never look like my sister. Of course no one ever knew how I felt, so no one could tell me differently.

Fast forward twenty years. I got married and went into the marriage with (unspoken) body issues. The Prince is, well, a prince! He has always made sure I know I am loved, and that he thinks I am beautiful. No matter what. But still, when you have years of mental baggage, it's tough to overcome that when you're learning to be intimate with your husband. There is no way to hide what you think is unattractive. It was really tough for me.

Then we started having babies. When I was pregnant with Sleeping Beauty, I gained weight. I think close to thirty pounds. I had a hard time getting rid of it (not that I really tried) but I was pregnant again (with Cinderella) when Sleeping Beauty turned six months.

Then Cinderella was born. I had gained another almost thirty pounds with her. Then was pregnant again when she turned six months. (See a pattern developing here?) I don't remember my weight gain with Snow White. I think I stopped paying attention at that point.

Somewhere inside my mind I decided that my weight would just have to be my weight. I didn't obsess about it one way or another. Sometimes I would be frustrated that things didn't look nice on me, or I couldn't just grab something off the rack and have it fit right the first try. But it was never enough of a problem for me to want to do something about it.

Fast forward five years. The Prince and I are now at a place in our lives where we are taking our health (including our weight) seriously. We have vowed together to improve this, and we are encouraging each other. I don't know that I have a goal weight in mind, but when I look good in ALL my clothes, and I can shop in ANY store, then I will be happy.

So today is the day my friends. I am posting my weight. It's just a number, it does not define me. Your knowing my weight does not change the fact that I am a nice, witty, fun, loving person. It should change nothing between us, except maybe for your eyebrows to raise a bit in surprise.

YIKES!! **having doubts...maybe will regret sharing...**

I started at 215 (possibly well-disguised) pounds. I lost another 2.2 pounds this week, so I am down to 195. Like I said, I don't really have a goal weight, but when I get there, I'll let you know. And I'll keep you posted along the way. I promise.

You know what? Now that I've shared, I am not so worried about it. So you know. So what. It's kinda lost it's hold over me. Wanna know my age? 31. Any other numbers you'd like me to share? I'm on a roll! And here's a pic of me, right now, today- before my work out.


Well, for today's Foodie Friday, I decided just to post pictures of what we had for dinner last night when the company came. I didn't take pics of the bread, because I figured that would freak out the guests, seeing as how it wasn't picture ready until they were all seated at the table ready to eat it. :0) Oh, and I forgot the fruit salad too. But it was pretty.

I had a small piece of lasagna, two rounds of bread (about 1.5" diameter each), and a large portion of salad. And I didn't have my homemade lemonade, either. I drank water.



And no, I didn't have any cake. I was a good girl!

HAPPY WEEKEND!!

10 Comments:

  • Mary

    You have a lovely smile and your legs are not bad either, young lady. Well done on your weight loss. Well done for 'getting real' and well done for a great post.

  • Terry @ Breathing Grace

    Congrats on the 20 pound milestone! And that cake looks delicious. You showed great restraint.

  • Brenda

    You are very right about the comments affecting kids. Especially girls. We have a great responsibility to help our girls in that manner by watching what is said to them/in front of them.

    Your face really shows the difference!!! See? You can't take that picture out of the sidebar b/c that's my comparison each week. You are doing great! I'm super impressed that you can make and serve cake and not have any. Kind of takes away my excuses for Little Bit's upcoming birthday.

  • karly

    Can I just say the first thing I noticed is your wonderfully curly hair? I LOVE it! :)

    Way to go on your loss! I am SO proud of you.

    And, as for our "numbers", I am just now (at 33 years of age) figuring out that that's what they are. Just numbers. They don't define me, they don't change the fact that I am a child of God so very loved. So, thank you for sharing and your reminder.

    Have I told you how proud of you I am? :)

  • TAMI

    The numbers mean nothing between us except more authenticity! Congratulations both on the freedom you've found and your continued weight loss. And, oh my, what a fantastic dinner!!

  • Barb Kaiser

    You will always be fun, loving, encouraging Julie no matter what and I am greatful for that but knowing that you are now feeling good about yourself and are actually enjoying loosing the weight and excercising that you are confident in sharing all the number info is a blessing.
    Remember the Lord doesnt look on the outward appearance as man but on the inward, the heart of which you have a huge caring one and share in massive doses with everyone. Have a blessed day. Barb

  • Victoria

    You are adorable - then and now!!! I can honestly say I wouldn't look as great as you at that number. You're proof - the scale doesn't know what it's talking about.

    I have 4 daughters. One very skinny and the rest average. Both my husband and I have family members who dealt with anorexia. You can be sure our mouths are only filled with positive things to say to our girls about their looks!

  • Aunt Bossy

    Hey you--looking good! But then you always did have great legs (as opposed to the Bossy trunks I inherited).

    Um, and I know you've forgiven him, but if this is the same dolt Uncle who reprimanded you for not going to the hospital enough, I may have to make a special trip to your hometown and SMACK HIM UPSIDE THE HEAD.

    What a great reminder that we need to be so careful about what we say around young girls. At school, you'll hear me calling my girls "my lovelies" quite often. And for those who are obviously more awkward, I find something about their appearance to compliment. Words are so powerful!

    So here are some for you: you are beautiful, wonderful, sorely missed, and loved more than I can say. So proud of you, my Juliesis--SO PROUD!!

  • Detroit

    You.go.girl! I was near tears reading your story - so many things hit home for me. I am so thankful for the grace of God and for being so privileged to have wonderful men in our lives who really love us.

    I know we are just getting to know one another but I truly am proud of you. I am still scared about posting my numbers especially since I am not a mommy yet...but your words resounded with me - I do not want this to own me. Blessings

  • Mrs. Bridget G.

    That food looks so good!I'm all good on the diet in words, but bring on the food and I'm like "Diet? I don't know what it means!"

Blog Widget by LinkWithin