I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: The Heart of a Child


I have enjoyed teaching the Wednesday night kids' class at our Deaf church. The kids who come are all hearing, and it's a ministry we do because they all live in the neighborhood and some who are now 12 have been coming since they were five and six. It's a blessing to see them be so faithful. It's been a lot of fun recently as I have asked them things they want to learn about from the Bible. Some of their ideas:

*Was Jesus there at creation?
*Before sin, did the animals bite?
*How did all the skin colors get made?
*Was God wearing clothes at creation?
*What is Heaven like?
*Before creation, was God alone?
*What's Revelation all about? (Yikes!)
*How can we refute evolution?

Some pretty good questions, right? There are many more they added last night. Kids' minds and hearts are so inquisitive, and ask such great questions. I plan on taking a few at a time to answer, and we'll learn together from the Word of God.

I wanted to take the topic today of the heart of a child. We know the Bible says to come to God with child like faith, so that we may believe. The Bible also shows that children are precious to our Lord. There's another characteristic I've seen in my own children that I am learning from.

When I've had a bad day, and am frustrated (femininity or not) I sometimes lose my temper and yell or raise my voice to my children. And sometimes I reply with sarcasm, or say things in a way that is unkind.

I always go to them later and apologize and seek their forgiveness.

And you know what? They always easily and quickly forgive COMPLETELY.

With my children there is no reminding of how I hurt their feelings, or turning of the head in silent refusal to accept my apology. They don't list things I've done in the past to hurt them, or tell me that I have a problem with this and need to work on it.

They get a tender look in their eyes (as though they've hurt me), take my hand and say "Of course, Mommy. I know you're tired. I forgive you. I love you." And then they hug me, and it's all ok.

Their hearts are so full of love, and so easy to forgive that it puts me to shame.

Oh to be more like a child!

1 Comments:

  • Kathy

    Hi Julie,
    You look great! I'm excited for you & your weight loss! I, too, learn from my students every day. God uses them to teach me many lessons. Here are some of my missionary life questions:

    I have a thyroid condition and am on a couple of mediations for life.
    1. In your professional, missionary opinion, do you think that is a hinderance to the mission field? (I won't be hurt if the answer is yes.)
    2. How hard or easy is it to get medication?
    3. How about doctors and lab work?

    I know that you would be speaking from experience in Africa, but it would be such a great help to get a glimmer of what it would be like. Thank you so much!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin