I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, September 19, 2008

Foodie Friday: Beef Pot Pie

Now, I forgot to take pictures of the inside of my beautiful beef pot pie, but I PROMISE it was yummy. I felt like using up the stew beef in the freezer that had been staring at me every time I opened the lid to get something else out. It also has been chilly and windy in the evenings, and this seemed like a great dinner option.

Some hints before we start: the cheaper the cut of meat you use, the longer it needs to cook so it will be tender and not chewy. If you don't have a couple hours for this, use more expensive meat. 'Cause no one likes to work too hard to get their dinner down. My kids give up after seven or eight chews. It's just not worth the effort.

Also, some of you will want a more traditional crust. I only like a top crust, and not a pie crust at that. As you know from my chicken pot pie recipe, I like a biscuit crust. For those of you who want an easy and yummy pie crust recipe, click here. It's a no-roll recipe that is super-easy. For a large pan (or if you want a top and bottom crust) you will definitely need to double it.

This recipe makes a HUGE dish- enough for company AND leftovers. So maybe you'll want to cut it in half, depending on your needs.

Without further delay I now bring you:

JulieMom's Beef Pot Pie

Ingredients:
1 lb. stew beef
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Handful dried rosemary, crushed
2t dried marjoram
2t dried oregano
Water
2 Beef stock cubes
3 potatoes, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1C frozen corn
1C frozen peas
1C fresh sliced mushrooms (If you're lucky and your family likes them-which mine does not.)

For the biscuit topping:
3C all-purpose flour
2T baking powder
1t salt
5T butter (or margarine)
Milk

How To Do It:
1. Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.

2. Toss your meat in a bowl with some flour, so that all sides are covered. You may also use a Ziploc® Bag for this.

3. When the oil is hot (before it's smoking!) place your meat in the pan. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your skillet. Brown the meat on all sides. Add a little salt while browning. If necessary remove some of the meat to a plate and keep warm in a closed microwave. Continue until all the meat is browned.

4. Return all the meat to the pan, and add the onion and garlic. Turn the heat down to medium
and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the herbs.

5. Add water to the skillet so the meat is almost completely covered. Turn the heat back up to medium high and cook for an hour and a half. You will need to check every so often to see if you need to add more water. This is making the base for our pot pie, and will form the gravy, etc. so we want to make sure there is ample liquid to cook everything.

6. When meat is tender, add the potatoes and carrots. Add more water, until the veggies are almost covered. Add your beef stock cubes as well. (Check after 15 min. to see if you need more water.)

7. When your veggies are tender, add the frozen veggies. Mix well. Add more water and cook for five minutes. Remove pan from heat and carefully pour contents into your casserole pan.

8. Prepare biscuit topping: Mix flour, salt, baking powder in a bowl. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add enough milk to make the dough wet, but not runny. Drop by spoonfuls onto the pot pie.

9. Bake in a 350 degree oven until biscuit dough is lightly browned.

I promise this is a satisfying and SUPER YUMMY recipe. So good! Enjoy!

Also, on the sidebar to the right, you'll see a new picture "Foodie Friday Archive". If you click on it, you will be brought to a page that lists ALL the recipes ever posted on a Foodie Friday. I think it's a nice little addition to the site, and I hope you'll take the time to browse through it. Happy weekend!

3 Comments:

  • Eaglemyst

    I'm wondering, can you do this with ground beef? It looks good!

  • WendyMom

    It's like our own personal chef and recipe box combined! I love it!

    Sigh- none of my family except me would like this one- so I'll have to enjoy it from the pic on your page.

    Love ya-

  • Aunt Bossy

    Ok, this sounds terrific! My eating plan has modified somewhat, so if I use lean enough meat, this fits right in! (The biscuit topping is a little extra, but perhaps I could use low-fat crescent rolls instead.) I'm saving this one!

    Oh, and I'm making the stuffed veggies again. They were SO GOOD! And I know I didn't comment on the soups, but those are next on my list of new recipes to try.

    Love you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin