I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: Pride

Before I was saved, I thought that pride was an issue I didn't struggle with. I thought it was reserved for bragging about things you were good at, or thinking you were prettier or smarter than someone else, and I really didn't have a problem with that.

Since being saved, however, I have realized that pride runs much deeper than bragging about being good at something. It is the glue that holds all our other sins to us. When we struggle with an issue, what prevents us from admitting and forsaking it? Pride. When someone asks how we're doing and we want to admit that we're having a rough go of it but just can't, what holds us back? Pride.

And since I have been asking the Lord to show me areas of weakness (it's fun- you should try it sometime) I realized that many areas of my life are affected by pride. Maybe I should say infected. I talked earlier this month about not liking accountability, but needing it. There are so many other areas.

When convicting scriptures come to mind after I have said or done something I know to be sin, I have to fight against my pride (internally of course) and admit to myself and God that I was wrong. Why is it so hard?

Some people never have a problem with that. Their hearts are pliable, their minds are focused on getting closer to the Lord, and when confronted about sin from either the Word of God or from another in Christ, they accept what is told them and work on change.

As you can see from my use of the words some people, that I don't fit the above description.

And although I wouldn't say I'm in the same league with Pahroah from the Old Testament, I do struggle. So I have come up with a couple plans to help with this area:

1. Move away and confine myself in a bare room with only my Bible. Not very practical, but kinda removes the whole dealing with others and reacting to them with pride.

A more viable option (though not much less difficult):

2. Work on servanthood.

Why servanthood? Because a servant has no rights. They belong to another. It's their job to serve, and they aren't worried about what they do and don't have, what they can and cannot do, or how other people's words and actions affect them. They aren't allowed to. Their whole goal in life is to make sure their master is pleased with their work.

So, seeing as how I am a servant of the Most High God, I will focus on that. I will serve others as if I were serving Him. When my heart is focused on making sure my Master is pleased and satisfied, then there will be no room for pride.

That's the plan at least. And I give you faithful readers permission to ask me (once in a while) how I'm doing with that. And while I may not elaborate for your sake, I will reply to you with either "thumbs up" or "thumbs down".

And hopefully my pride will not prevent me from truly evaluating and responding.

1 Comments:

  • MaryD

    psst I blogged,not a secret anymore.... we still owe the princesses their letter.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin