I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Monday, August 25, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs (This should have been posted last week Wednesday)

Wow! I'm off to a great start, right?

Nothing like handing in your homework late on the first assignment. *sigh*

(For all my regular readers, this will seem weird. But it's an introduction to the other new people coming here from the homeschool website I told you about. Remember? Bear with me and try not to smirk as you read. They don't know me well yet and your snickering may be distracting.)

Anyhoona, my name is JulieMom, and I am so glad you popped over here to check out my post. I homeschool three girls: 7, 6, and 5. They are very sweet, and love to learn. And I am so thankful! The littlest one, Snow White, will be starting K-5 this year, and she is SOOOOOOO excited to learn to read. She has been asking me to teach her for over a year, but she doesn't want to sit still and work on sounds. She just wants to read words.

So, needless to say, we haven't gotten very far.

As for my family, we are on the mission field in South Africa ministering to the Deaf people here. And it's a challenge to find homeschool materials to use, let me tell you. We don't have a library near us, so whatever books we read either have come from what we've packed, or what our family and friends have generously sent (or brought, right Dad?) for us when they've visited.

However, the internet continues to be a wonderful source of information and books! And we love to read around here, so that's a good thing.

But let me back up. The Prince (hubby) and I decided to homeschool even before we had kids. I think it was the Lord just preparing me, knowing we would eventually be moving to an environment where it would be unsuitable to place our kids in the school system. It really is NOT an option here. The public school teacher/student ratio is about 38/1. Seriously.

And private Christian schools? ForgetAboutIt. Mucho money.

And since I am a teacher at heart, homeschool really appealed to me. I love the flexibility of being able to pack up the kids and go wherever we need to, take vacations when we need to (yay off peak rates!) and the individual attention it affords them, as well as the time I get to spend shaping their world view.

Was that last sentence long enough? No?

I am looking forward to beginning another year, and seeing what God has in store for us. I am sure there will be other 'firsts' as we continue to learn together. I can't wait to see the strides my girls make. I am already impressed with their improvement in handwriting over last year.

I apologize if this post is a little disjointed, but it's after 2AM here. Why am I still up? I have no earthly idea. Oh yeah, I am going to call my Dad on Skype. But you didn't really need to know that.

Please don't think this is the norm around here.

Not to scare you, but it's actually much weirder.

Happy Homeschooling!!

4 Comments:

  • The four little penguins say:

    I'm a regular reader and I didn't know ALL of that about you! :)

  • Victoria

    Thanks for making us aware of Homeschool Memoirs - I signed on and have enjoyed it so far!

    Now, go get some sleep!

  • Mary

    9o99have you heard of the web 'teacher created resources". Fantastic e books covering almost any topic.

    As for the lack of recipe on friday - just make this Friday something with chocolate included!

  • Jessie

    LOVE the pictures of your children and your humor. It is nice to blog meet you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin