I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, August 15, 2008

Foodie Friday: Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers

Today is a recipe that will help use up your extra produce from your garden like tomatoes and peppers. That is, if you have a garden and grow your own, or your neighbor is constantly bringing them to you. (Oh how I wish!) Anyway, you could probably chop up some zucchini in there too. It wouldn't hurt!

There's a Greek twist on this dish, though. (Isn't there always?) After everything is cooked, you plate them and cut them up, then stir in chunks of feta cheese. I am telling you right now, it makes this dish. So good! And the kids ate it and loved it. They really did.

Stuffed Peppers and Tomatoes

Ingredients:

  • 5 medium tomatoes
  • 5 medium peppers (any color you have)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 15 T uncooked rice
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 3 (or more!) garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2t dried oregano
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley minced (or cilantro)
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • salt and pepper

Directions

  1. Cut off tops of tomatoes (keep them!) and carefully scoop out flesh into a bowl.
  2. Cut off tops of peppers (keep them!) and remove seeds and membrane.
  3. Place tomatoes and peppers in a large pan and give each veg a dash of sugar with the tips of your fingertips.
4. Take tomato flesh and process in a blender until pureed. Pour into a small mixing bowl.
5. Add olive oil, rice, onion, garlic, parsley/cilantro, nuts, cheese, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2
teaspoon of pepper (or season to taste).
6.Stuff the vegetables evenly with this mixture.
7.Replace tops of tomatoes and peppers.
8. Quarter up 3-4 potatoes, toss with a little oil and salt, stuff in the empty spots in the dish. 8.Combine 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup olive oil with tablespoonful of tomato paste and a little salt and pepper and pour this around the veggies. 9.Bake in a preheated 375F oven (180C) for approx 1 3/4 hours (vegetables should pierce easily and be slightly blackened in parts).
10.Serve with feta cheese and a crust bread to soak up the juice from your bowl.
I promise you this food is SO GOOD!! If you're super hungry you could serve it with a salad, but for us the feta and bread was enough. They are filling because of the rice, and because they are STUFFED! We will definitely make this again.

Dessert? What?! You're not full yet? Wow...ok, let me see...

JulieMom's Awesome Fruit Salad Thingy

Ok so this doesn't sound so awesome, but it is. I made it up last night, as we had fresh pineapple and strawberries to use up before they decayed. So I was digging in the pantry and found a can of coconut milk. (Where did THAT come from?) Back to the fridge and found a large container of vanilla yogurt about 1/3 full. Hmm...mixed the two together, added a packet of pudding, some mini marshmellows, and voila! The birth of JulieMom's Fruit Salad Thingy!!

Ingredients:
1 large pineapple, cored and skin removed, diced
1 pint strawberries, washed, tops removed, sliced
3 med bananas, sliced
1 can of peaches, drained and chopped
1C seedless grapes, halved (if you have them; I didn't)
*Any other fruit you want to add*
1 (13.5 oz) Can coconut milk (unsweetened so I added 2t sugar)
2C vanilla yogurt
1 box (3 oz) instant (not cooked!) pudding mix
1/2C mini marshmellows

A spatula would work wonders here.
1. Prepare all fruit and mix in the bowl you plan to serve from.
2. In another bowl mix the yogurt, coconut milk (sugar if needed) and pudding packet. Stir until well combined.
3. Pour yogurt mix over fruit and stir gently. Cover all fruit. Add marshmellows. Stir again.
4. Let sit in the fridge for at least ten minutes before serving. Marshmellows do soften overnight, but not terribly, so you can make this ahead.
5. Serve in small bowls and top with a sprig of mint if you're fancy. (I'm not) Enjoy!!

*You can also add weird stuff like nuts and raisins if you're weird. I'm not.*

HAPPY WEEKEND!!

6 Comments:

  • Janice

    Love this! I will def. try it. And I am not so sure I would be too a-scared of coconut milk in your pantry- must not have been there tooooo long!

  • WendyMom

    This is what I love about the way you cook- you just jump right in, with no recipe, and create something AWESOME! I tend to do the same ting- but using a recipe- I look at it like its a "rough" draft- if I need to substitute, I do. Oh, and anything savory in my house is ALWAYS made better by the addition of 1- 2 cloves of minced, fresh garlic. But you already knew that.. Miss you- can we try and Skype soon?

  • WendyMom

    Um, that't the same "thing", not "ting"- I suddenly developed a Jamaican accent I guess.

    "The same ting, mon"!

  • Aunt Bossy

    Hey, there--I love, love, love the main dish for two reasons:
    1.) it is vegetarian
    2.) it is gluten-free

    I don't have either of the above food restraints/allergies, but I have friends who have one or both and I'm always looking for fun new dishes to share with them. This fits the bill perfectly!

    I do have a question about the olive oil--how much is really necessary to the recipe? I'm wondering if I could use significantly less (substituting with some olive oil cooking spray) and still have it come out OK. What do you think?

    Oh, and I'm assuming it's cooked rice you're using...am I right? Thanks, o creative culinary one!

  • Great-Granny Grandma

    Came here looking for the fruit thingy you mentioned in your FF post, but my gaze was arrested by the stuffed tomatoes and peppers recipe. That looks absolutely yummy. I think I'll try that over the weekend since I have some peppers to use up before they wither away.

  • JulieMom

    Thanks ladies! I hope you enjoyed it!

    Aunt Bossy- I didn't realize the original recipe called for a 1/2C at the end! OVERKILL!! I think you're good with a tablespoon or two. That's how I made it. I must have just ignored that part when cooking. Mine came out just fine. These are SO great! ANd it's not cooked rice. It actually cooks in the peppers. I will adjust the recipe with those things. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin