I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Friday, August 29, 2008

Foodie Friday: The Healthy Alternative

Good Friday to you all! Well, it's not that Good Friday, but I think you all know what I mean. Anyhoona, let's get down to business.

If any of you have read my soul sister Aunt Bossy's blog, you will know she recently (lovingly-ish) slammed my Foodie Fridays. She seems to think that 1 1/2C of olive oil in a given recipe is simply too much. Well, I agree. And today I am going to share with you a recipe that is good for you, nutritious and delicious!!

Are you dying from anticipation? I knew you were.

JulieMom's Weight Loss Inducing EVOO-Free Veggie Platter!!
I know what you're thinking: this looks too good to be true. Well, that's where you're wrong. There's a secret about this veggie tray that you must know. And I'll tell you in a minute. But first, the ingredients!!

Ingredients:
7 whole fennel bulbs, bushy greenery removed
1 small bag medium size carrots
1/2 A jillion artichoke hearts
Several hard boiled eggs, slice in a beautiful fashion
25 Stalks of asparagus (if you can stomach it)

Instructions:
1. Purchase vegetables from your favorite market.
2. Clean and slice them any way you like that looks pretty.
3. Boil them in plain water until you can get your teeth through them.
4. Pile them high on a platter. The bigger the better.
5. Forgo the dip.
6. Look at it and feel the pounds melting away!!

Now, let me tell you the secret.

Ready?

(It's so simple!)

Buy vegetables you and others don't like! Who has ever seen this kind of veggie tray? Normally they are piled high with tempting vegetables everyone loves, and a huge bowl of some sort of calorie-laden dip that packs on the pounds. In this version, when you ensure you like only one of the items, you are calorie home-free! You won't eat much (if anything) and you won't feel guilty before bed!

I know, I'm a genius.

Now, onto dessert.

Chocolate Wannabe Carob Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup okara (soybean meal)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup carob chips
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, pistachios, or chopped walnuts
Note: Okara is soybean meal, a natural by-product of tofu. It is usually available in Asian markets that sell fresh tofu and health food stores. (Um, yeah. By-product sounds delicious!)

Instructions:
1. Throw all this stuff together in a bowl and mix it up. (Carob, seeds and nuts last.)
2. Drop onto baking paper-lined sheets.
3. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

There's an understated beauty to this recipe as well. Who has ever heard of Okara? And who will actually pay the thousand dollars a pound it's sure to cost? Also, carob isn't a regular grocery shop item. You'll have to trek to the next county to find it. So, if you want to lose weight and feel great, then keep dessert recipes in your house that you will never make!

And if you absolutely WILL make them, but were hoping for something a little more chocolatey, then (Mary M) I suggest you eat a square of Hershey's chocolate after each cookie. How's that sound? Easy-peasy!

I promise next week I will be back to the original kind of recipes. This week was just too good to pass up. Thanks for bearing with me, and thanks for checking out Foodie Friday, even though it may send you to an early grave. Have a happy weekend!

4 Comments:

  • Mary

    Good one Julie! You simply crack me up. Hershies indeed (no way). I'm a Lindt(milk chocolate balls - yummy) kind of woman. I'm definitely going to give the vegies a go though.

  • Aunt Bossy

    Um--I'd rather drink EVOO from the bottle than eat one of those cookies! Carob is just foul.

    And the veggie platter--holy digestive system overload. 'Nuff said about that.

    Touche, my sister! :-)

  • WendyMom

    OK, OK- that's enough you two! Do I have to separate you now?!!

    Jules- your next post needs to be a "serious" light recipe- I happen to know you have lots of pretty good, healthy recipes. Maybe your lentil soup one? You're going to scare people away ......

    There ain't enough beano in the world to make me eat that whole veggie platter in one sitting.. No Way would anyone survive that!

    LOL. Love you-

  • MaryD

    Oh now I am just sad. You lost me at fennel bulbs. Can't wait until next Friday. Maybe we could all be copycats and post recipes on Fridays....Wendymom??? Mine won't have pretty pictures.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin