I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Deep Thought Thursday: Our Choice

2 Corinthians 6:3 "Giving no offense in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed: (4) But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, (5) In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in watchings, in fastings; (6) By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned, (7) By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, (8) By honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; (9) As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; (10) As sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things."


The list of things in the Corinthian verses above is quite intimidating. Have you ever felt like the world as you knew it was spinning hopelessly out of your control? That one thing on top of another was bombarding you and you were sinking in an ocean of self-pity and doubt?

You are not alone. Let me assure you of that. Although things here have been great recently, it doesn't mean they always are. I seem to be a person who fluctuates between elation and disappointment. When I let my flesh control me, that is. (Which is more often than I'd like to admit thankyouverymuch for not asking.)

However, these verses encourage us that even through the most terrible circumstances in life, (like tumults, distresses, stripes, imprisonments) we are to make sure we respond in a right way, so that the ministry be not blamed. This is not an easy task. There are times when I want to (and do) scream at everyone, stomping my way through the day, shaming God and frustrating myself.

James says to know these things work patience. Before when I thought of this verse, I thought of temptation as sinful situations, like lust, or stealing etc. HOWEVER, I have been thinking about it, (maybe you figured this out a long time ago) and I think it must mean hard and frustrating circumstances that tempt you to sin through your response as well.

Like when you spend all morning cleaning the kitchen and bathroom, then one of the kids spills a WHOLE CUP of juice, while another VOMITS on the other floor. Temptation to me would be to groan, throw my hands up in the air and shout: "WHY DO I BOTHER?!?"

But according to Corinthians, I need to respond with humility, kindness, by the Holy Ghost and with true love. And if my windows are open to let in the sun and wonderful morning air, I need to respond in a way that won't make my neighbors think all Christians are mean mothers who yell at their kids for accidents.

I must remember who I represent. Not only my husband, the mission, and my home church, but also Christ! Who wants to be indwelled by the Holy Spirit only to have it be of no effect?

So I'm working on my response today. As I ask and allow the Holy Spirit of God to control me, as I meditate on His Word, letting it dwell richly within me, I can and should be able to respond in a way that is blameless in ALL situations.

It's not easy. Believe me, it's not! One thing you learn on the foreign field is patience! Procedures, customer service, paperwork, other drivers and simple everyday things take on a whole new meaning once a person leaves the safe cocoon of the U.S.A.

I'm not using that as an excuse, just a reminder to myself that I need to try harder. And you?

5 Comments:

  • Mary

    That was a lovely and honest post. I agree, it is so hard to remember to represent Christ in all our actions and reactions. I always remember the chorus:

    I am a promise
    I am a possibility
    I am a promise with a capital P
    I am a great big bundle of potentiality.
    And if you listen
    you can hear God's word
    and if you trust Him
    you will make the right choice.

    You can be anything
    anything He wants you to be!

    Blessings your way (Blog hugs)

  • JulieMom

    Thanks for the reminder of that song Mary!! I remember it well. And it's true too. Blog hugs to you as well!

  • Aunt Bossy

    Hey there Sister--had so much to say I blogged about it instead of saying it all here. You know how I get with my overflowing verbosity...

    Love you!

  • WendyMom

    Oh yes- my, oh, my- I needed that today! Not to get too personal, but my, ahem, "friend" is almost a week late, and things have been, shall we say, very hormonal around here. (And no, sadly, the test was not positive). I found myself today, in the midst of trying AGAIN to clean and organize the toy room (Juliemom, you know what a HUGE task that is)- yelling at my kids- with the windows open and our current missionary dad on the back deck! Nice. After all- why can't they just pick up a toy and put it away?!? I can, and they're not even mine....

    So, suffice to say, I needed this today. Thank you so much for the admonition and reminder of whose I am, and who I represent. I had already apologized to the kids, but will go now and do so to my heavenly Father.

    Love you-

  • Savannah

    And me!

    That post came at the right time!!

    Thanks! ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin