I Chronicles 29:11 "Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty:for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all."

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Kingdom Budget Revisions


So since the Prince has been teaching at the college, and recently finished a course on finances. And though we are not money wasters, he thought it prudent to re-work our budget. Me? Whatever. I mean, I want to please God and be the best stewards we possibly can be with our money, but I'm not into keeping receipts and tracking expenditures and such. My philosophy is simple:

Just let me know when you're done.

Then give me my money.

The Prince has been meticulous about the receipt-keeping. And he has (in his brain) a spreadsheet of everything we've spent for the past three months, and what needs to change and such. I am really excited about all of it.

*yawn* Can you tell?

No, I'm not, but I need to be on board. Part of my job as Mom is to make sure we are spending wisely in the food area. So I will be going through receipts and stuff too. Woo-hoo!

Now for all the Moms out there who have a meal plan and a budget and all that (like I will shortly) here's a breakdown of our prices here in South Africa (in USD).

Mozzarella Cheese: $6/lb
Spinach (fresh): $2.59/lb
Mayonnaise: $3.89/ 30 oz
Toilet Paper: $3.86/ 9 rolls
Deodorant: $3.89/stick
Hot Dogs: $3.24/24 dogs
Sour Cream: $1.03/ 8 oz
Flour: $2.72/ 5.5 lbs
Sugar: $1.77/ 5.5 lbs
Eggs: $4.15/ 30 eggs
Milk: $3.93/ gallon
Mac-N-Cheese: $1.53/box
Tortillas: $3.11/6 pack
Beef: $2.79/ lb
Chicken Breasts: $4.02/ lb
Chicken Nuggets: $3.23/ lb
Olive Oil: $18.18/ 2Litres
Salsa: $3.63/ 13 oz
Gasoline: $5.21/gallon
Tortilla chips: $7.00/ small imported crushed bag

So, these are just some of the things we buy. As you can see, the Mexican Food stuffs are REALLY EXPENSIVE, as are mayonnaise and milk and cheese. And yes I buy Kraft mayo because the off brands here have a yellow-green tint to them that I'm scared of. Anyway, we don't buy these items often. Or, well, I will start buying them less often.

All of this said to ask: how do you control the food budget in your house? What are some favorite recipes you make that are hearty but cost effective? How do you plan your meals so that you get the most food for your money? Do you have meat every night, or only twice a week? What are some kid-pleasing recipes that are meatless? Any links you can recommend to help me get started?

A little help here would be appreciated. I know how I would make a meal plan, but maybe your ideas are better.

So I'm ready- lay it on me!

5 Comments:

  • Brenda

    Um, are you asking how to cook for your family frugally without Mexican food? I can't...I don't..wha?

    I don't understand.

  • JulieMom

    Ok Brenda, let me walk you through this.

    Go back to the post, ignore the whole thing, and read ONLY the last paragraph.

    If you STILL don't get it, well then, I can't help you there. I send you a hug anyway.

    {{{{HUG}}}}

  • Aunt Bossy

    Well, until someone discovers how to convert mac-n-cheese into gasoline, here are a few ideas:

    When making a casserole-type dish, use 1/2 of the meat required and increase the amount of vegetables/starch. For example, when making your skillet lasagna (which I miss, by the way) you could use only 1/2 pound of ground beef and add more peppers, onions, etc. You still have the flavor and meat is present, but you have the other half for another meal. Like seasoning it with chili powder & cumin then mixing it with mac-n-cheese.

    You can also decrease the serving sizes of meat like chicken breasts and increase the veggies when eating non-casserole type meals. Cost AND calorie effective. And if you get creative with the veggies/side dishes (i.e. steamed spinach with mac-n-cheese), it's not as bad as it sounds.

    Over here, frozen veggies are way cheaper than fresh, so if that's the case over there, go frozen. Cook according to package directions, then add to mac-n-cheese.

    That's all I've got for you--hopefully others can give you way more helpful advice. Can't wait to see what they have to say & I want to hear your plan, too. This is something we could all use a little help with--thanks for blogging about it! I love & miss you, my sure-fine sister! :-)

  • Suzanne

    Beans and rice and rice and beans. That's Dave Ramsey's moto(finance guru). Don't forget about Jay's favorite: pinto beans and corn bread. Add apple sauce and it's a complete meal.

    The basics for meal planning are this: know what's in your pantry and what is on sale or generally cheap in your area. Then look through your recipes and plan your week. I never plan 7 meals. Usually five plus one for lunch after church.

    If you want a couple of "oh no its 5:00 pm what am I going to make for dinner?" recipes let me know I have a couple of really good ones :)

    Websites: www.menus4moms.com www.livingonadime.com

    Hope this helps.

  • Mary

    I've been racking my brains. Unfortunately, I've come up blank. I wanted to be helpful, only, I've just blown my own food budget and the cupboard still looks bare.

    It's baked beans for us next week!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin